Identify episode from filename

misc client related stuff

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

JaLooNz

Identify episode from filename

Post by JaLooNz »

Will it be possible for AoM to identify files by the filename instead of hashing it again?
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

And how would AOM know that the contents match the filename? ;)
Furcube

Post by Furcube »

I think something like "fast recognition mode" would be better.
for example: md5 for first kilobyte, last kilobyte and kilobyte in the middle of file.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

...that kinda undermines the whole point of having a hashing program. Look, just set it going in the backgound, and thing about something else.

Rar
Elandal

Post by Elandal »

In unix you could check inode, size, and mtime, for example, to get reasonable assurance about the file being the same. I guess there's something like that in windows as well.

But still, what problems are there with hashing? It's not like you'd be hashing a TB of files..?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Elandal wrote:In unix you could check inode, size, and mtime, for example, to get reasonable assurance about the file being the same. I guess there's something like that in windows as well.

But still, what problems are there with hashing? It's not like you'd be hashing a TB of files..?
There is a way more elegant solution to this in windows 2000 and later, there are details about it in the feature request forum.

As for you others, there will be no "fast" hashing support, the bare minimum is that a file MUST be fully hashed with ed2k. You can complain about it being slow however long you want but it WILL NOT CHANGE, EVER.
If you have a problem with this I suggest you hash your files while afk or buy yourself a decent computer.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Elandal wrote:It's not like you'd be hashing a TB of files..?
Uh... don't say something like that... :oops: ;)
ednax

Post by ednax »

The problem I have is not the time needet to hash the files but the time needet to replace all faulty files with valid ones :wink:

a short time ago I hashed all my anime-files at once (about 350-400GB) but I noticed that about 20% of my files were faulty :cry:

The time needet to hash the files is endurable compared to the time needet to reload all faulty files (I think I need at least one or two month to reload the files)

cu
Ednax
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

Elandal wrote:But still, what problems are there with hashing? It's not like you'd be hashing a TB of files..?
Happened more then once
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

ednax wrote:The problem I have is not the time needet to hash the files but the time needet to replace all faulty files with valid ones :wink:

a short time ago I hashed all my anime-files at once (about 350-400GB) but I noticed that about 20% of my files were faulty :cry:

The time needet to hash the files is endurable compared to the time needet to reload all faulty files (I think I need at least one or two month to reload the files)

cu
Ednax
Join a group of hi-list CRC-junkies and bug for patches
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

hehe :-)

I'll downloaded ep 33 of whistle for over a year before finally having somebody share it on AR3... that was fun... NOT.