Censorship on Hentai files [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I really don't know what to do in 15x13 to show censored and not. :?

kidan

Post by kidan »

Idea for an icon:
either some bloody knive/chainsaw/... or an happy-face for uncensored and either of those with a black bar over it. Or for the knive, you could color the blood green/black (like it is done in some games, just to bypass the bpjm/index in Germany)
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

that's why it's better to have only the censored icon... which could be just a word in white letters on a red background
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I agree - the red "cens" from the above small icons should suffice - or maybe EXP is willing to allow a couple pixels more width to make it "censored".

Another alternative would be two boobs with a black bar over the nipples but that would only indicate that sexual content is censored and not other stuff like roricon or violence.
egg

Post by egg »

nwa wrote:that's why it's better to have only the censored icon... which could be just a word in white letters on a red background
The issue with that is how do you tell the difference between uncensored and censored. How about something like a smiley (maybe :twisted: ) for uncensored and cover it with the CENS for the censored? It doesn't have to be objectionable to be censored...
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

... or use letters aswell, in addition to an icon, for example "unc" (which could be read as both uncensored and uncut - but still does the job)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Second try...

Image Image

Image Image
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

looks good, and the icons that represent cut and uncut are necessary as well imo...
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

nwa wrote:looks good, and the icons that represent cut and uncut are necessary as well imo...
are you requesting to have seperate entries for a file for cut/unknown/uncut and censored/unknown/uncensored?
is that usefull?

BYe!
EXP
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Yeah I was kinda irritated too - I thought that you only mark something that is altered and not stuff that is released without any altering.

I mean if there really is a release that is censored over years and only after things changed in the minds of the censorship the uncensored version is released, it is not necessary to mark the new version "uncensored", just leave the "censored" tag blank and you'll know that the version is not censored :-)

It's the same with everything else. If audio lang is english you don't need to mark it "not japanese" ;-)

But I still understand where the idea for "uncensored" originated, since many movies out there are later on released as "uncensored" or "unrated" dumbfunding the moviegoers or DVD owners because they thought they already saw "the real deal".

What would happen then is that you'd have to change ALL files for that movie/Anime to "censored" and only have the new version without any additional markings. Sounds a bit idiotic, but that's the way I think it should be implemented.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Skywalka wrote:Yeah I was kinda irritated too - I thought that you only mark something that is altered and not stuff that is released without any altering.
is that supposed to be an answer to my post? if so, you misunderstood me, if not you can skip the rest :o)

I am definetly for a censored/unknown/uncensored setting (read: 3 selectable values, with unknown being the default).
Simply because you will always have ppl, adding files, who do not care or do not know about those fields. So you simply can't say "everything that's not marked censored is uncensored". It's much more reliable to have uncensored files marked explicitly.

my question about nwa's post was whether he was proposing an additional, completly seperate cut/unknown/uncut field for each file (read: cut!=censored, uncut!=uncensored).

BYe!
EXP
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

@exp: I guess it was a mixture.

First of all I think you are right about the censorship thing, didn't think of it that way.

About the cut/uncut: I think that should be added as well since censoring can mean changing the color of blood, pixelating contents, while cutting means leaving out parts of an anime to for instance change the length to something that better fits the timeframe of the airings of a TV station - for instance here in germany Detective Conan episodes tend to be cut to a certain length, no matter how long they were before - which results in some special 24 minute long episodes to miss at least 2 minutes - this beeing not censorship but a cut due to other issues. And because we have a lot of german TV captures in the DB (for instance One Piece) this should be added I guess.

Maybe if an anime is censored as well as cut due to censorship both icons could be shown. That would be a matter of definition in a guide or something. There are always things that can be interpreted in more than one way, that's why we have the FAQ section :-)
egg

Post by egg »

I think that there only needs to be a single field, the values could be censored/cut and uncensored/uncut. In general, probably you do not have things that are mixed, (although I am sure somebody will point out a few exceptions). Adding two fields will raise the likelyhood that the fields will be set/used incorrectly.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I think then it would be better to use a string. Just a single icon when there is information about it and a mouse over or alt tip explaining the status of the anime. Possible settings:

Censored
Uncensored
Cut
Uncut
Censored/Cut
Censored/Uncut
Uncensored/Cut
Uncensored/Uncut

Anyway I think that cutting is a way of censoring, but agree that the distinction could be useful for Hentai.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

...this seems a bit much for something that affects only a small portion of animes in the database. But, while we're having this debate, are people suggesting we remove, for instance, Dragon Ball Z (U.S. version), and move the files to Dragon Ball Z (original version), with a cut tag added? What about Robotech?

The easy solution is have a three state flag, (full version)/(edited version)/(unknown/irrelevant), with the last being default, and left that way for most files. Only when a file is notably either a cut/cens version, or an uncut/unces version would you change the state.

Rar