Site: expandable content [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

phip

Site: expandable content [DONE]

Post by phip »

I think the anidb web interface would be much faster and use less bandwidth if it used dynamic expand/collapse for content. (like google's gmail site or kuro5hin.org dynamic threaded article comments view) Instead of +/- buttons reloading the entire page, they use some javascript to load further content and place it in the page, or remove it.

Instead of reloading an anime page several times to get the information you want, it would only have to load once. Extra data like groups, files for one/all episodes, and file information would be fetched separately and inserted. This would be a huge speed and bandwidth gain for anime series with a large number of episodes and files. (like clicking expandall for ranma 1/2) Not only that, display of data would be more flexible. (Currently only one + can be expanded at a time)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I think the main reason for the current design is you need no javascript for it to work.
JavaScript always bring lots of small problems and browser incompabilities.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

yeah,

the basic functions of anidb should also work with javascript disabled in the browser settings (for security reasons).
however, we could save quite some overhead by making intensive use of stylesheets.

BYe!
EXP
phip

Post by phip »

Neat! That is a good idea, having a basic and a dynamic theme. Is there anyone able and interested in creating a javascript/CSS intensive theme for aniDB?
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Best idea if you want something done is to do it yourself in a community driven environment.

Meaning: I suggest you do it yourself or it won't happen that soon.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I could do it but I bet skywalka with friends would visit my house and threaten with castration unless I focus on aom. 8O
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

mhh..

somehow I have a feeling Skywalka isnt going to be the only one who comes for a visit if you choose to work on something else than AOM 0.6, PetriW :twisted:

J/K :)

anyhows, its true, having expandable links would shurely ease using the webpages. in the short run for me it would lead to slightly longer load times with this dialup when I first visit a page, but when I start looking on the details for a anime like comments, groups, files and so on I'd save alot of time in the long run as I wouldnt have to reload the page every time.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Style sheets I would like a lot. And a range of pretty themes to pick from of course. :)

Rar
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Rar wrote:Style sheets I would like a lot. And a range of pretty themes to pick from of course. :)
Well,

I would support them, however I am not writing any as my css is pretty bad :P
So if anyone is interested, feel free to start playing with it.
quite some time ago someone made a first try:
http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6336#6336
but AFAIK he didn't continue it.

BYe!
EXP
phip

Post by phip »

Much of this work has already been done, and can be found in the Mylist Export themes, especially fahrenheit's html-anidbstyle and html-cleancut.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

That's good. As my web development skillz are about 6 years out of date. So, I'm not exactly much use... ;_;

Rar
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

same here. I really lack the time to do anything of that sort. Would be nice to have it, but the current system works so please don't feature it broken and only add the dynamic content as an option first.
phip

Post by phip »

Don't worry, I think the general consensus is creating this as an alternate theme to the current simple one, rather than as a replacement.
phip

Post by phip »

Skywalka wrote:Best idea if you want something done is to do it yourself in a community driven environment.

Meaning: I suggest you do it yourself or it won't happen that soon.
yeahh... I realize this. I figured I'd put it out there anyway, to see what people think and on the off chance someone would be inspired to do it. Even if you plan to do something yourself in a community-driven environment, you've gotta run it by everyone.

I may well give this a try, after some of my current projects conclude.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

PetriW wrote:I think the main reason for the current design is you need no javascript for it to work.
Well, almost no scripting. The popup windows for notifies and group-for-anime rating/comments, to name the two instances that I know of, are handled exclusively by client side scripts, with no plain html alternative. (Opera incompatibility has been cited as the reason for not implementing one solution, but <noscript> works everywhere.)