add Hdtv as type of source in the source list [closed]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

permidion

add Hdtv as type of source in the source list [closed]

Post by permidion »

seems some hdtv rip have appeared recently (w wish) and since the Q seems better than simple dtv, maybe the distinction would be welcome?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Isn't DTV the same for the case as Japanese DTV ~ American HDTV?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

From Wikipedia:
Japan had pioneered HDTV for decades with an analog implementation. Their old system is not compatible with the new digital standards. Japan terrestrial broadcast of HD via ISDB-T started in December 2003. It is reported that one million HD receivers have been sold in Japan already.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

An idea would be to add a new type of origin - HDTV (new) or (d) for digital since the old standard was analogue, as well as finally little icons for 16:9 and 4:3 resolution so that you can see on first sight what most likely is of good quality and what not - the aspect ration most of the time is a good indicator.

But please do not touch the quality rating. It is "unfixable" since it is (always) chosen by the person who added the file.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

The A/R can be calculated from the video size in pixels, altho a new flag for anamorphic widescreen videos would be required.
Isochroma

Feature Request: Search by Resolution in Advanced Search

Post by Isochroma »

The Advanced search does not contain any fields to search by resolution, bitrate, etc. Since these fields are already present in the file information submitted, it would be easy to implement it in the searching...

For example, I would like to use such a feature to search for animes at 1024x576 HDTV resolution, or perhaps I might want all files with 5.1-channel sound [AC3], or bitrate > 160 kbps...

Thanks!
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Re: Feature Request: Search by Resolution in Advanced Search

Post by Gambit »

Isochroma wrote:For example, I would like to use such a feature to search for animes at 1024x576 HDTV resolution, or perhaps I might want all files with 5.1-channel sound [AC3], or bitrate > 160 kbps...
Perhaps it`s just me ... but why the hell would anyone want to search on a resolution? o_O Usually the most common encode would not go as high as you stated, plus, you might end up with 1 episode from each series instead of entire series. The same thing goes for bitrate.
Not to mention that if you choose a common one, you`ll have a search result which is most likely listing the entire database.

Why can`t you just select a title you want, click them open to see which ones are DVD and then decide which one you want to see, instead of searching for a random title which has AC3 sound and you most probably don`t even like as a series?

PS: Why the hell are you posting it in this thread as well as in a new thread? Doesn`t make sense -_-
lamer_de

Post by lamer_de »

As far as i know, the only certified HDTV resolutions are 720p and 1080i. Everything else is not HDTV. Those 1024 encodes are probably better classifed as "high resolution". At least the TV rip groups use that term. And I heavily doubt that all those hr encodes really come from HDTV sources. Jinki:Extend for example airs on TV Asahi, which is to my knowledge a terrestrial broadcaster. Their HDTV/digital satellite channel is called BS-Asahi, so why would they air HDTV content on their terrestrial channel? (read: There's no way to determine if the source is upsized DTV or HDTV)

CU,
lamer_de