Forbid adding files without an ed2k link

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Yeah. Like I said, I don't know whether those two programs I mentioned use those hashes. I guessed.
bbaab

Post by bbaab »

exp wrote:the hashes are mainly meant to identify files and allow ppl to check their files for corruptions.
they're normally not meant to be used in any file sharing utilities.
Actually, Winny uses MD5 hashes (... and even without the file size - you can set the range in which the file size has to be, in MB, though).
permidion

Post by permidion »

I don't see why that would be any better than the current system which prevents you from adding too many lame files in the first place.
thats totally useless
because people simply wait till someone take the time to adress a creq with the ec2k and once its accepted the guy who added the file in the first dont have any lame file anymore......

what i would like is if someone else add the ed2k later on, the first guy KEEP his lame file counter to the way it is. And say he can get some point back by adding 5 or more good files (with ed2k), a bit like what happen with driving licence in some coutrny

that should motivate people adding ed2k, without them loosing some freedom (keep the same qtt of lame file allowed as it is now)

with how things work atm, lazzy people wont change their way of adding ed2kless files .....
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

permidion wrote:what i would like is if someone else add the ed2k later on, the first guy KEEP his lame file counter to the way it is.
Great idea. Then we can start a taskforce hunting and racing the lamecreators for ed2k hash (creq something so they can't edit their files :twisted: )

It's not worth the DBproblems to create something like this.

I'm still finding it best to throw out the rotten apples. The only reason people add files w/o ed2k hash is for the stats. Otherwise you have NO reason at all. So delete their stats or lock their creation rights then they'll probably think twice.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

e-Viper wrote:The only reason people add files w/o ed2k hash is for the stats. Otherwise you have NO reason at all.
Show me a program simple enough for newbies that can calculate the ed2k-link (and copy it to the clipboard) with preferrably less than 3 clicks - then I'll agree. ;)
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

e-Viper wrote:Great idea. Then we can start a taskforce hunting and racing the lamecreators for ed2k hash (creq something so they can't edit their files)
hohoho.. I really like that idea.. whenever something popular gets released, we'll stay for lookout of files added without an ed2k link and issue a creq for it, even if the ed2k link is wrong for it and then after we get the file ourself, add the correct one :lol:

but yeah.. the lameness factor has no use since it disappears when the ed2k link gets added, even if by someone else
Elias

Post by Elias »

wahaha wrote:Show me a program simple enough for newbies that can calculate the ed2k-link (and copy it to the clipboard) with preferrably less than 3 clicks - then I'll agree. ;)
http://ed2k-tools.sourceforge.net/ed2k_hash.shtml
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Exactly.

Click 1: Right-click on the file.
Click 2: Mouse to "ed2k_hash" and click "Hash".
Click 3: Select the hash and
Click 4&5: click on the menu "Edit" and click on "Copy".
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

Hashcalc's my personal fav
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Elberet wrote:Exactly.

Click 3: Select the hash and
Click 3: Select the hash and CTRL+C

:P
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Well... that's part of the problem for me - why does it takes two clicks there even when hashing only one file?
Taken one step further: Why is there no "generate ed2k-link and copy to clipboard" to begin with?
(rethorical question - no need to explain the concept of open source to me :P)

My argument was only that I know no small ed2k-link-generator that's userfriendly enough to not make people feel like it's annoying to use. Which is, IMO, one of the reasons why (very few) people don't bother to add them - or don't add file-entries to AniDB at all.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

/me points to the source code so Wahaha can change it. :P :D
Jiro Kaz.

Post by Jiro Kaz. »

e-Viper wrote:I'm still finding it best to throw out the rotten apples. The only reason people add files w/o ed2k hash is for the stats. Otherwise you have NO reason at all. So delete their stats or lock their creation rights then they'll probably think twice.
hmm always wondered what you guys meant by stats, only thing I can find is the mystats thing, if thats what you're referring to then get real. why would someone care about that, will you be treated better doing so, even so the mods would only know your stats I think. simple put there is no benefit at all increasing your stats.

Have you ever considered the fact that people use the temp ed2k add function to add all of the necessary info later on for people to verify their files for correctness. for example i use the md5/crc to verify my files like some others do and people who only add the ed2k link and crc or crc only withouth ed2k link there is no real way to verify the file for corruptness.
nwa wrote:hohoho.. I really like that idea.. whenever something popular gets released, we'll stay for lookout of files added without an ed2k link and issue a creq for it, even if the ed2k link is wrong for it and then after we get the file ourself, add the correct one :lol:
you are just evil;) nothing else to say

there seems to be a big problem around here with adding files without ed2k links, so if something needs to be done the idea bbaab mentioned earlier would be simplest solution. I better hope this has nothing to do with the ar release madness threads...

-Jiro
egg

Post by egg »

Jiro Kaz. wrote:Have you ever considered the fact that people use the temp ed2k add function to add all of the necessary info later on for people to verify their files for correctness. for example i use the md5/crc to verify my files like some others do and people who only add the ed2k link and crc or crc only withouth ed2k link there is no real way to verify the file for corruptness.
I think the issue is more over files that are created without ANY hash. But trouble with your case is that outhe ed2k hash is the one that is used for matching. If you add a file with CRC and MD5, if I use ed2k dump, AOM or Chii to add the file to mylist, it will not find your file.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

DonGato wrote:Click 3: Select the hash and CTRL+C
You mean you expect newbies to learn a keyboard shortcut? ;)