Forbid adding files without an ed2k link

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

nwa
AniDB Staff

Forbid adding files without an ed2k link

Post by nwa »

Why do we label adding files without ed2k links 'lame' when we could just forbid it...
Here are some situation's I've witnessed...

A certain someone adds a file without an ed2k link, but added a filesize which was completely wrong.. I sent that person a PM asking about it, the person said that he/she was still in the progress of getting it via BT and just 'guessed' the filesize...

A certain someone adds 2 files without an ed2k link, those 2 files were just released by Keep, and since the person in question probably had started the download, he/she added the files before getting the complete file... so later on, that person edited and added the ed2k link for ep 2... but.. since someone else was fast enough to actually get the complete file of ep 3.. he/she didn't bother to make a CREQ for the existing file without an ed2k link, but added a new entry with the ed2k file... (I merged the 2 files, the one who added the file with the ed2k link got to be the one who gets the credit of being the one who added the file for ep3)

There are tons of more incidents like that.. all for the sake of being the one who added that file... to raise his/her stats or whatever... I dunno, but it pisses me off...
I could add a whole lot of files before actually owning them.. I could even add the files before they get released.

So what if someone still adds a file maliciously with the wrong ed2k hash? That can be considered as the most extreme lameness, and the file should be deleted with a warning to the one who added it
This is very similar to the recent boom in creating release threads with raws or promos in the AR forum (although I think starting a thread with a promo is ok).
What has gotten in to ppl.. ego's kicking out? Thirst for higher stats and credits?
egg

Post by egg »

I agree. Especially now that there are generic files, we really don't need unqualified files.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

I do agree that we don't need lame files.
However, I am sure that we'll have much more problems if ppl start adding files with faked hash values.
So all in all the current version is IMHO better bc it allows us to easily identify those lame files.

BYe!
EXP
Jiro Kaz.

Re: Forbid adding files without an ed2k link

Post by Jiro Kaz. »

nwa wrote:A certain someone adds 2 files without an ed2k link, those 2 files were just released by Keep, and since the person in question probably had started the download, he/she added the files before getting the complete file... so later on, that person edited and added the ed2k link for ep 2... but.. since someone else was fast enough to actually get the complete file of ep 3.. he/she didn't bother to make a CREQ for the existing file without an ed2k link, but added a new entry with the ed2k file... (I merged the 2 files, the one who added the file with the ed2k link got to be the one who gets the credit of being the one who added the file for ep3)
nwa sorry but that was me, when adding the files at the moment I had ep 2 completed, I noticed until later that the file was corrupt upon hashing and entering the nfo, resumed it via bt (91-92%) it took a few minutes, at that time yeah you were correct the ep 3 transfer was in progress. both finished almost at the same time and succesfully entered ep 2 in the db, when entering ep 3 I could've swear it was a matter of seconds before the other person added it and I got the access denied thing. heh, I always check the info twice before hitting the edit button since I had encountered a similar problem in the past and hashing takes time especially if you dont have fast pc. I could be wrong about what you said but the thing that annoys me is what I marked with bold letters in your qoute. I would rather see people adding the correct/crc verified file immediatly than letting people wait for a creq before it gets approved, as you know this process could take days. and another little note, it only was like 5-10 min before the 2 files got added with the correct info you shouldnt let that affect your mood, thats the purpose of temp ed2k link without info. if anidb makes any logs it should prove it...

heh, to keep this thread on topic, this request isnt bad at all, so yeah why not. though there will still exist ways to alter the info and creating lame files if thats what you are concerned about...

-Jiro
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

People creating lame files or not filling out infos should just get their creation rights taken away.

There are enough people who wants to create them to their best possibilities.

And creating for stats = LOL
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I felt the same way a year ago - after a while you stop asking for this :)

Lame files will not be shown after a while, creqs are generated automatically - so the DB fixes itself.

What _really_ pisses me is that the Notifications were screwed by this, that is why I asked for notifications when a file I have is changed - EXP said that would end up in a lot of notifications but I don't mind that as long as the problems get solved. When AonE released the last three files of Tenjou Tenge all in a row, somebody added three episodes all with 182.000.000 size and no hash - that's the biggest BS I ever saw. The next day all these files were changed and an ed2k added, but I would not have been notified about it since I got a notify when the files were released and that doofus added the three FIDs.

This needs to be adressed. I hate hunting for files I don't have because I wasn't notified :)
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

hmm, that ideia of the creation rights, could something like this be introduced:

At registration a user gets creation rights, if he adds more than X lame files he gets his/her creation rights taken away until Y event happens.

Possible Y events:
- X days have passed, if the same user allready had his crights taken way X = 2X, etc,
- until a mod, pm's user and states the situation and user agrees to do-it right from now on.

I know this is a bit hmm, unfriendly, but oh well it could drop the lame file count.

just an ideia though

have fun
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Jiro Kaz. wrote:nwa sorry but that was me
I know it was you, I just didn't want to mention any names :P
Jiro Kaz. wrote:I would rather see people adding the correct/crc verified file immediatly than letting people wait for a creq before it gets approved, as you know this process could take days. and another little note, it only was like 5-10 min before the 2 files got added with the correct info you shouldnt let that affect your mood
it does affect my mood, that's why I don't think it's nice to add files wthout the ed2k link, this way, you'll have double entries of files, ppl might not even notice them right away... I just happened to scan the process...

fid slots get wasted this way (ok that's not a problem or anything, though) :lol:
EXP wrote:However, I am sure that we'll have much more problems if ppl start adding files with faked hash values.
I'm doubting that when they have to add a ed2k link, then they'd add a wrong one instead.. sure, some would do it, but not that big of a number to become a problem.. ed2k link can be checked in IRC, in ed2kdump and in AOM.. the false entries can be corrected easily...
bbaab

Post by bbaab »

Why stop at the ed2k link?

Forbid adding files without all four hashes (ed2k, MD5, SHA1, CRC32)!

Wel, ok, I'm only half-serious here. I'm "guilty" of adding a file without an ed2k link (but with a valid MD5 hash and a correct file size, so you could get the file via Winny if you wanted), too. Sue me, but I don't see the big deal, after all - all the info you needed to uniquely identify the file were there. Any valid hash+filesize combination should suffice, but if you want to pick just one, I suggest MD5 and/or SHA1. They have way less collisions than ed2k or (shudder) CRC32.

But in that case you will get files with "00000000" as the CRC32, for example.

(Of course, I added the other hashes after I got the file and verified its correctness)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

nwa wrote:
EXP wrote:However, I am sure that we'll have much more problems if ppl start adding files with faked hash values.
I'm doubting that when they have to add a ed2k link, then they'd add a wrong one instead.. sure, some would do it, but not that big of a number to become a problem.. ed2k link can be checked in IRC, in ed2kdump and in AOM.. the false entries can be corrected easily...
you're thinking way to positive there.
many files which are added with wrong ed2k links would probably never be noticed and the wrong hashes would therefore stay in anidb forever.
right now it's very easy to use a filter to get a list of all lame files, once we disallow users to add them most would probably stop.
however there will be quite a number of ppl who would add invalid hash data, maybe by copying the hash of another file and editing the size or the hash by one digit.
it then becomes _impossible_ to detect such files.

about the automatic penalty when one adds too much lame files.
I don't see why that would be any better than the current system which prevents you from adding too many lame files in the first place.

BYe!
EXP
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

ok, I'll start adding files without ed2k links as well then, just to piss others off the same way as they piss me off :P
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

*adding nwa to personal watchlist*

(Since I have nothing else to add, I'll leave it at that ^^;)
Amour

Post by Amour »

Sorry but, what is the purpose of MD5, SHA1, CRC32 in AniDB ? When someone clicks on a link, she only needs the ed2k link.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

she :) cool choice of words.

CRC32 hashes can be manufactured by actually just changing a few bits within a file. That's how some fansub groups were able to write little 6 with the hash of some files, like "313337".

The other hashes are used by different programs. Don't ask me which ones, I guess KaZaa or Limewire or whatever.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

the hashes are mainly meant to identify files and allow ppl to check their files for corruptions.
they're normally not meant to be used in any file sharing utilities.
we try to list all commonly used hashes in order to increase the chances for users to find exactly the type of hash they (or the group) use in anidb.

BYe!
EXP