Top 10 -- ignore prequel/sequel [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

alzheimer

Top 10 -- ignore prequel/sequel [DENIED]

Post by alzheimer »

the AniDB top10 often contain 2 parts of the same series (for example, at the moment there's both Hunter X Hunter and HxH: GI Final in the Top10, previously it often was GitS). I don't think that makes sense, since naturally HxH fans will give all HxH series and OVAs a good rating. I don't want to see HxH, HxH OVA1, OVA2, and OVA3 occupying 4 places of the Top 10... :) The database already includes prequel/sequel relationships between series, so it should be possible to leave all but one entry (the one with the best rating) out of the top list.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hm,

I somewhat disagree there. Voting is done per anime and not per series. It is well possible that the first stage of an anime is great and the following stages utter crap.
So I do think that seeing multiple stages of one anime in top10 does actualy have a meaning. It shows that this particular anime seems to be worth watching and not only one stage of it, but all stages of it.

BYe!
EXP
egg

Post by egg »

People do not necessarily vote the same... If people did, vote all the same, OV1 & OVA2 would be in the top ten as well instead of being 28 & 32, atm.

Personally, using HxH as an example, I gave HxH an 8 and OVA 1 a 6, I just thought the story in the OVA dragged on and didn't like it as much. I haven't gotten around to watching the other two yet.

As exp said, each anime should be treated individually, because people do vote on each one individually.

HxH OVA3 just completed, most likely the people who have voted for it so far are the people who wanted to watch it and who would probably like it. As time goes by, other people will watch it that will have a more varied tastes and the overall vote will probably drop.
alzheimer

Post by alzheimer »

exp wrote:It is well possible that the first stage of an anime is great and the following stages utter crap.
Of course, that's possible. However, then there isn't a problem, since it isn't likely to be in the Top 10 anyways. So these series are no problem and won't be affected by a change of behaviour anyway.

But, to come back to the HxH vs HxH GI Final example, it doesn't make sense to have both of them in the Top 10 even if both have good rating. If you want to watch GI Final you have to watch the prequels anyway, otherwise you won't know the characters and don't get whats going on at all (which should be true for most prequel/sequel series).

And someone who watches a series and likes it will look for sequels anyway... so even if there's a great series out there with several great sequels, what's the point having all of them in the Top 10?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

there are quite some animes where watching the prequel is actually not required. i.e. some gundam series.

BYe!
EXP