old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

wahaha
AniDB Staff

Allow to merge placeholder files with generic files [DONE]

Post by wahaha »

Actually, everything needed for this is already in, but there are two problems:
- The only way to access the merge-function is by using this random feature
- Only files with the same size can be merged, so there would need to be an exception if the master file is 0 bytes

EDIT: As it seems, that size-check can be overridden aswell by forging the values of the dropdown. So, merging a placeholder and a generic file is already possible, but... ^^;
pelican
AniDB Staff

Re: Allow to merge placeholder files with generic files

Post by pelican »

Placeholders still have their place until shadow files are implemented, because of the group field.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

I know that this is a small loss of information - but in the end, you'd only have an additional generic file in your list. And that one could even be filtered out with some simple rules.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

wahaha wrote:I know that this is a small loss of information - but in the end, you'd only have an additional generic file in your list. And that one could even be filtered out with some simple rules.
If we could change the placeholders to, um, `specific generic files', I guess, which have groups but no sizes or checksums, that would be okay, as I didn't just see the second of two episodes aired back-to-back `somewhere'. I saw something by a specific group and want my list to reflect this.
egg

Re: Allow to merge placeholder files with generic files

Post by egg »

pelican wrote:Placeholders still have their place until shadow files are implemented, because of the group field.
Technically no they don't. Since they are placeholders, there was no release for [just] that episode by that subber. As long as you know all of your files come from [XXX] then why does it matter if there is no group name on a non-existant file that is just there so that mylist will say the anime is complete. It is because of a lack of a feature in AniDB that it is necessary in the first place, when shadow files are implemented then they will not be necessary for this use...
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

generic files were clearly meant to replace all current placeholder files.
i will add easier methods for mods to merge placeholder files into generic files once the generic files are fully implemented.

IMHO there is no real loss of information. Users who wish to note the exact group of the file should add it as a comment for the generic file's mylist entry.

BYe!
EXP
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Funny, my whole way of thought is reproduced in this thread :-)

First I also thought information is lost, then I thought no, I just need generic files to make an Anime complete and then when I added PoT 66 (generic file, "second part" of the double episode 65), I simply added a comment :-)

One thing I would like to request though: I had to choose "other" in the dropdown box when I added the file and I think this is the only thing that could be changed - there should be an option like "WWW Fansub" or "spacefiller (completion)" or whatever. Then I would simply have to add the groupname in the comments field for I think making Anime complete in your mylist is is a major use for generic files.

Post by Guest »

still so that chii will give wrong info.

Guess it's not eazy to implement shadow files where the group can reflected by chii

E-Viper
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

you mean that chii will then tell you that you have one file by "nogroup" or something like that?
it would be pretty easy to add a generic file detection, so chii wouldn't display a generic file as "nogroup" but as "generic".
this could then be improved further if we include that additional state "filler" which could make chii display the group of the file for the previous ep.

BYe!
EXP
e-Viper

Post by e-Viper »

woule be nice 8)
egg

Post by egg »

wahaha wrote:Since these filler-files were valid to use at that time, I think they should only be merged with the generic files if the mylist-type can be changed to "filler" at the same time (by the mod who merges them).
This functionality is still needed to be able to merge files to a generic and set the generic type for the users who have that file in a single step.