Notifies for non-javascript browsers [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

pelican
AniDB Staff

Notifies for non-javascript browsers [DONE]

Post by pelican »

For people with javascript browsers, I can understand that the particular features of a javascript window are desirable, but with a proper href and target="_blank" in the <a> element, notifies could also work for those who have either disabled scripting or use a browser without that functionality. The `return 0;' statement that is already present in the action script should, apparantly, make this not affect javascript-enabled browsers.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Re: Notifies for non-javascript browsers

Post by pelican »

Actually, maybe I didn't mean notifies; it might apply to them too, but I think I actually meant group for anime votes and comments...
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

IIRC opera does not support this and would open any other href destination but # in the main window, disregarding the return 0.

BYe!
EXP
Elias

Post by Elias »

AFAIK (i had just made simple test page to be sure and it worked) target="_blank" works with Opera as it should.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

please post the example code here.
i might have omitted the target="_blank" when testing this, but i don't see why that would solve the problem.

BYe!
EXP
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

exp wrote:IIRC opera does not support this and would open any other href destination but # in the main window, disregarding the return 0.
If you're worried about that, a plain link with a target can go in a <noscript> element, with the current code being outputted by a small piece of script preceeding it. This isn't quite as simple, but still entirely trivial.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

And then there's the problem that Opera conceils itself by default, pretending to be Internet Exploder - so you can't really distinguish IE and Opera easily in JavaScript.
Elias

Post by Elias »

There isn't a problem with generic code, Opera not only distinguish IE, but also works like IE. But if it is really needed, than it still easy to check,
navigator.userAgent contain itself somewhere Opera regardless of setting.
If identify as IE is set this property is something like:
'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows ME) Opera 7.51 [en]'
if identify as Mozilla:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows ME; U) Opera 7.51 [en]
if identify as Opera
'Opera/7.51 (Windows ME; U) [en]'
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Then that must've been changed very recently. IIRC, some time ago, Opera would identify itself as Internet Exploder both in navigator.UserAgent and in the similar HTTP request header.