6 character check sum

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

6 character check sum

Post by Guest »

how do I calculate the six character string that is behind many names of anime episodes?
Babaluma

Post by Babaluma »

With a crc checker. (Hum sounds stupid now i read it)
I use... CRC Checker. Old program, you have to rename your file with an .exe extension to make it work. And also replace '[' by something else if you file begins with this character. Otherwise CRC Checker will think it's a directory. A lot of people use other tools to check their files. Maybe those tools are better and certainly have more features. But CRC Checker is enough, if you don't have a problem with renaming your file just for the time to check the crc and then revert it back.

Post by Guest »

thanks Babaluma.
If anyone else knows of any good programs, plz post.
OrigO

Post by OrigO »

if anyone else is looking for the crc checker it can be found at: ftp://ftp.mindworkshop.org/pub/alchemy/crc32.exe
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Just to make sure that you understand the concept of these 8-digit-checksums (CRCs) and the possibility to add them to the db:
The fansub- or dvdrip-group releases a file - they usually put the checksum in their topic or offer an .sfv-file (with the checksum in it) so that one can immediately check if the downloaded file has the right checksum. If the file has the wrong CRC and is thus corrupted, you will ususally have at least some bad frames or sound-errors.

When using edonkey, there's another checksum, named "md4", which is the long last part of an ed2k-link. There's no real need to create the CRC of the files you got off edonkey and add them to the ed2k-link / file-entry in the db... that would just be an unneccessary double-check.

However, since one cannot judge by the md4 (=ed2k-hash) whether it has the original/right CRC, it is usefull to always add it to the db if you clearly know that it is the right CRC.
If you have an older file (which is not listed in the releaser's topic any more), you can always check http://www.envirosphere.com for the right CRC. In case that the CRC you created locally matches the right one, then you should add the CRC as "verified".
If the file is already in the db, you can use a change-request to submit the valid CRC - consider adding a short description of where you got the right CRC (envirosphere or channel-topic) to the "Note to the reviewing AniDB Mod".

Hmm... HowTo, anyone? *g*
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

Has someone any other program to check CRC Sum?
I will be very grateful for any answer.
kidan

Post by kidan »

I like EasySFV-Creator a lot.
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

kidan
Can you put link?
THX
kidan

Post by kidan »

http://bssite.dns2go.com/