Drop "year" in anime-entries [tracked]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

wahaha
AniDB Staff

Drop "year" in anime-entries [tracked]

Post by wahaha »

Because it's highly redundant.

I'd like to just enter 4-digit years as "first aired" and "last aired" when needed. That way, a "2002-2003 (01.10.2002 till ?)" could easily be shortened to "01.10.2002 till 2003" (or something similar).
As this probably conflicts with the date-format (which I guess is needed for "latest animes"), my request can basically be reduced to: "anything that removes the redundant 'year'-field from 'add/edit anime' and makes the way it's shown on the pages a bit prettier". ^^
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

removal of the year field is already ontodo, it will be autogenerated from the air- and enddate values once the majority of the anime entries have that data added.

allowing ppl to just enter a year, without a full date @ air- and enddate is currently not planned.

BYe!
EXP
Elias

Post by Elias »

exp wrote:allowing ppl to just enter a year, without a full date @ air- and enddate is currently not planned.
And it will produce in result lots of titles, which will have air/enddate set randomly within a year (01.01.xxx, 12.31.xxxx) only to allow voting for this title or if airing date is in future or very past. Who remember airing dates for titles 10 or more years old?

IMHO better way is leave year field, but if dates of airing/ending are set then change this field to year(s) from this airing/ending dates. So editing this field will have meaning only until both dates are set. A little redundancy doesn't hurt so much.