Selfmade Corrupt Files in Mylist [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Gambit
AniDB Staff

Selfmade Corrupt Files in Mylist [DONE]

Post by Gambit »

<Tomynocker> i didn't mean that it's not useful .... but i rather have a flag that i can set in mylist than that i have to make a crc corrupt file just for me alone
After reading this, I think it might be useful. I have a bunch of eps which I accidentally corrupted by doing something stupid, but there isn`t any visually corruption, so I`m not going to replace them.
I assume there will be a bunch of other people who cut off the OP/ED from series and therefor also change the hash. For those people there is only the option to either
- Add a new hash for their files, even though they`re the only one with that hash
- They can cheat by clicking the good file, even though they don`t have that file
- They can leave that one open, resulting in gaps in their MyList.

It might be a solution to add a flag in your MyList that you have that file, but corrupted it anyhow, which means you can`t reshare. Of course you shouldn`t be listed on the anime page as a user for that file, but rather a sort of placeholder in your MyList. No need to pollute the anime-page with hashes only you have anyway.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Or you simply have a Asus A7V600 with 1Gb of RAM not certified for that motherboard. One single byte of some files is changed! :evil:

As stated before, it would be nice to have an option to register you watched/have an episode but not any of those (VHS/DVD/TV/Home made DivX/Own corrupted file).
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

If file is not intentionaly corrupted (like with cutting OP/ED or repacking), why not to DL corrupted block from ED2K?
Tomynocker

Post by Tomynocker »

well .. if that's the case of corse i'd fix it IF i don't have to reburn a complete dvd just because one file has a wrong bit somewhere.

but there are rare files, that i never could leech to the end and only a part of the ed is missing, or as said the cut off ed/op that i did sometimes in my early years as leech. there can be other reasons why you don't want to/can replace a file.

The main idea is, that you don't have to add an extra file with crc corrupted flag if you can set a corrupt flag in your mylist. But that you still can see that the file isn't healthy. most likely it's not such a big change in the db. so it would just be another pulldown field when adding files to the mylist with healthy/corrupted as choice.

This flag could be used to exclude all those from the usercount for files that have the release from thatgroup with diffrent crc or other faults.

Of corse the possibility to have crc corrupted files should still be kept, that's not meant as replacement. there ARE files that are better spread than the file with correct crc. it should just decrease the amount of files added with hashes that only one person has und thus makeing the animelist a bit smoother (or howerver that's called)
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

DonGato wrote:Or you simply have a Asus A7V600 with 1Gb of RAM not certified for that motherboard. One single byte of some files is changed! :evil:

As stated before, it would be nice to have an option to register you watched/have an episode but not any of those (VHS/DVD/TV/Home made DivX/Own corrupted file).
indeed, I'd like that aswell.

for instance, I have Shaman King, which is a large 64ep show. out of those 64 episodes is 56 ep's recognized as original subs while the 8 unrecognized but they are playing perfect withouth _any_ visual errors or problems. now Im hooked up on the net with a lowsy and very expensive Dialup getting those 8 eps is sort of out of the question for me, as downloading 1.74GB just to get a complete set seems futile on my dialup. if I could instead just mark those 8 missing ep's in mylist as 'own corrupted file' and thus get a nice 64/64 on watched withouth adding extra garbage to the DB, then I'd be happy. :)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

the main question here is if this would still be needed once the "generic files" are implemented. (generic files: one auto added file per episode which is more or less a fake entry and can be added to ones mylist i.e. to take care of those own on dvd/seen on tv/... cases)
if the idea is mainly to get a complete mylist without adding garbage to anidb then the generic files would take care of that.
however one would of course loose the info which version one really has (even if corrupted), on the other hand if someone collected all eps from one group he isn't really loosing any information.

BYe!
EXP

Post by Guest »

I think that generic file support is enough. In these cases you already know that the file will be unique and IMO there is no gain for AniDB on allowing this nor for the user.
Tomynocker

Post by Tomynocker »

i think that's right, with generic files it won't be needed anymore.

IF someone wants to keep info he can enter it into desc field when adding the file to mylist. (like groupname or size or resolution or such things, but i don't think that's important info)

but the main declaration that this file is unique is there, and that is what counts for me
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

exp wrote:the main question here is if this would still be needed once the "generic files" are implemented. (generic files: one auto added file per episode which is more or less a fake entry and can be added to ones mylist i.e. to take care of those own on dvd/seen on tv/... cases)
if the idea is mainly to get a complete mylist without adding garbage to anidb then the generic files would take care of that.
If someone would use these generic files for both "watched on TV" and "corrupted file", the exact info which of the files is corrupted would be lost, though. Of course, the storage-value and description could be used as a workaround, but introducing a new function with a workaround attached (instead of adding a function that doesn't need the workaround) doesn't feel right...

I'd prefer to see both generic files and a "corrupted"-state, simply because it's more accurate and because it could be used for other functions (e.g. "my corrupted files") - something that wouldn't work with generic files, even when adding the group-name to the description.
Tomynocker

Post by Tomynocker »

wahaha got a point there ... and since this corrupted state could be added quite easy it would be a shame if it wouldn't be added. also if someone uses the generic files for sel ripped eps or dvd's he has, it's the same problem that the info which are broken gets lost.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

ok,

as first step there is now a new dropdown box when adding files to mylist where you can specify that your real file differs from the one you're adding to your mylist.
right now anidb doesn't use that info, however with time additional icons will be added and anidb won't count those files for the user stats on the anime page.

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Err... corrupt files should be counted in the user stats, especially if you intended this feauture for those who have slightly corrupted files that only differ from the original by a couple bytes. :/

However, if you really want to implement that, why not ignore files of type "unknown" instead? ^^
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Elberet wrote:Err... corrupt files should be counted in the user stats, especially if you intended this feauture for those who have slightly corrupted files that only differ from the original by a couple bytes. :/

However, if you really want to implement that, why not ignore files of type "unknown" instead? ^^
I am talking about the user stats on the anime page here, not mylist stats.
bc IMHO everyone who's version doesn't exactly match the file in question should not be counted for the usercount of that file.

BYe!
EXP
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Sorry, my bad. Classical misunderstanding. :)
Yep, people who have the file corrupted or unknown shouldn't be included in the file's user stats...

However, that doesn't mean the other thing (not counting unknown-state files in a user's mylist stats) wouldn't be helpful, too. ;)
Tomynocker

Post by Tomynocker »

when i check a few files (at least a few generic files) and add them to mylist then the generic files have no type set. shouldn't they have automatically have a type set? (and if yes which one?)
Or would it be better to just add an "unknown"(or maybe the "other" type shouldn't have an icon) type that results in no icon?