What to watch?

everything else :P

Moderator: AniDB

radionerd

What to watch?

Post by radionerd »

I must be getting too old to watch anime now. Sigh... Lately, everything I've watched I couldn't finish them. Like Death Note, Stellvia of Universe, Infinite Ryvius, Fafner in the Azure, now and then here and there. Also I didn't really like Black Lagoon, anything made by Clamp (except XxxHolic), Utawarerumono, and Trigun.
To me most of these are either really childish or the main character is unrealistically just and naive or the story is just stupid. I don't know. I used to be not like this but maybe I am getting burned out.

I really enjoyed Mushishi, Planetes, Blue Gender, Berserk, Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal (not the series), Azumanga Daioh, 12 Kingdoms, Welcome to NHK to name few.

I still love anime and I just want to find good anime. I am looking for something more for adults with good story.

I must admit that Death Note was interesting but around half way through it got really repetitive and stupid.
Also Here and There Now and Then was actually a good anime but it just made me so angry because of the main character. He not wanting to kill others is fine but if someone wants to kill you I feel you must retaliate. My biggest problem was when he told that girl everything will be fine even after she was raped repeatly and got pregnant and had to kill someone to escape. I don't know... maybe I am a cynical person.

Anyone have any suggestion on what to watch? Right now I am in middle of downloading Monster.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

you know about hint?
Ginja

Post by Ginja »

youll like Monster, its awesome. if youre looking for a good story you could try Full Metal Alchemist if you havent watched it yet
radionerd

Post by radionerd »

I have used "Hint" feature before but it mostly returns the high rated animes which half of them I really didn't like. I understand its hard to make "Hint" feature accurate, and perhaps my rating of shows are flawed as well. I have been tolerant of certain animes at beginning (perhaps even gave it a higher rating), but as I come across similar shows, I've grown tired of certain genre. Everything seems so generic and regurgitated.
I prefer not to watch shonen (Dragon Ball, Bleach, Naruto, Eureka Seven, etc)or shoujo(Ouran Koukou Host Club, Kaleido Star, Glass no Kamen, etc) genre. Although my understanding is that shoujo has more drama and perhaps more involving storyline.
Even some seinen genre are childish except that it contains more blood, gore, and/or sexual theme.

I have watched Fullmetal Alchemist, and although its not my favorite, its pretty good. I didn't enjoy the movie at all. I have cut down on amount of anime that I watched and I am trying to stay away from my favorite genre of scifi/fantasy. I like anime scifi/fantasy because they can achieve certain things that movies cannot. I am thinking about downloading Kino no Tabi: the Beautiful World and some horror genre like When The Cicadas Cry, Hell Girl.

Let me know what you think. I am really sorry if I seem to be whining.
eXgoddess

Post by eXgoddess »

well, there is always Cowboy Bebop :)
you could check new fantasy series like Claymore and Seirei no Moribito also you could try some movies like Paprika and Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (emphasize on shoujo :P )
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

ignore claymore and watch seirei, nodame could also be an option.
Grazze

Post by Grazze »

I've watched like 25 eps of Rurouni Kenshin and i cant seem to get into the series. Death Note im at 23, its nice and good ;).

I can reccomend: Samurai Champloo, Tokyo Underground, Full Metal Alchemist, Hellsing & Hellsing OVA (AWESOME!).

Thats my two cents ;)
retroactiv

Post by retroactiv »

Wow, nice spoiler on Now and Then, Here and There.

Anime you should try (these should appeal to someone thinking they are getting too old for anime):

Black Lagoon
Ergo Proxy
Samurai Champloo

In that order.