double english

everything else :P

Moderator: AniDB

supafrog

double english

Post by supafrog »

I've been trying to think of a reason why a dubbed series would get subtitled in the same language...and the words don't match. I thought about researching it, only to realize I had no idea what the term for it was.
So, does anyone know why you would want to do this?
Hoerie

Post by Hoerie »

Possibly it was originally dual audio and someone left out the other track when encoding?
kzq

Post by kzq »

often gag's and dialogs etc are hard to translate from jap to eng in the same meaning so , americans could understand better etc , usually subs are made for the jap txt, i think that anime demons are matching their subs with eng sound ~~
Hoerie

Post by Hoerie »

As an afterthought, subs also enable people with hearing problems to enjoy what's going on.
As subs have to be short and concise they will have different wording than the original script.
Sosseres

Post by Sosseres »

There is a difference between spoken and written language. That is major reason differences occur I think.

Besides, a lot of the subs are not very nice for those hard of hearing, only those that color code subs for each main character and have a last one for background ones would really be nice. Normal subs works of course, but nowhere near as nicely.

Then there is the timing to consider, if they don't redraw the motions in the anime they can only say things during certain times without it looking bad. This constricts the choices more than it does for subs that can be extended beyond this if needed for ease of reading...
HiEv

Post by HiEv »

Generally speaking (no pun intended), the English subtitles are more accurate translations of the Japanese audio than the English dub. This is because the English dub has to match the "lip flaps" that the characters make, which may require adding syllables, squeezing syllables down, or even rewriting the line to make it short enough to fit the mouth movements. Some videos will have two English subtitle tracks, one is the more accurate translation and the other is the "dub sub," which is a direct transcription of the dub.
TheJAG

Post by TheJAG »

Reading through this made me remember the horror of bying anime here in sweden, since all subtitles are for the english dub. :(
At least I learned about this before bying anything back here, desided to import R1(US) DVDs instead, it's wort the extra cost. :)