Moderator: AniDB

kouta

AMD overclocking!!!

Post by kouta »

hi
i have an AMD cpu:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21Ghz
RAM 1GIG

now i want to overclock my cpu, first lets disscuss the reason why??

you know SHS release for Le Chevalier the 1920x1080 h.264 5.1 AAC, i thought my CPU could handle it, but.......!

now is overclocking the CPU will help or not??? did anyone try it and worked without bad results?

something else, my vedio card is:
Nvidia 6600 GT 128MB support resolution higher than resolution of SHS file, if i changed the resolution will it play the file normally, or do i have to clock it(if it does it help) and change the resolution too??!

if you think its crazy, then you are right, but i bought such CPU for suchthings, and if i cant play the file then i have to do bad things to the CPU.

if any other info needed regarding my PC plz ask for it.
summery i want to ply that file no matter what!

thanks
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

To overclocking I can't say a thing....but something to the other things:

somewhere I think I read that for such video (1080p + h264) you need at least 3 GHz to play it.

You can make a workaround by converting this video to Xvid or (better for slower pcs) even to Mpeg2. The files will be getting very big, but are playable even on "slow" cpus.

And you could use a other video player which has a better performance: e.g. mplayer (under Linux works better of course).

I've downloaded some TV-Musicvideos in 1080i. They were coded in mpeg2. I am at the border to play it without problems on an amd athlon XP 2200+ (1,8GHz) and on mplayer Linux.

The graphic card can't do much here. The main problem is the huge amount of decoding h264 data, which is only be done by your CPU.
kouta

Post by kouta »

finally i was able to play the file. :D
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

so what have you done at the end?
kouta

Post by kouta »

Overclocking, nah I was too lazy to do that, when I opened the task manager and noticed that the "zplayer" process was 99% I just changed the priority from normal to above normal, and system stability was just fine, like nothing happened.
debro

Post by debro »

a few things that you want to look at:

how much ram does your system has ? how much of it is free?
antiviruses LOVE to make your computer slow and last but not least:
disable stupid services and programs off your computer.

these should free enough resource for speed sensitive tasks.