internet software

everything else :P

Moderator: AniDB

kouta

internet software

Post by kouta »

I am looking for internet software.

ok, I have about 80 PC's and having a walk along all of them to see who is using them is not the most perfect way, so I am looking for a software that start counting when someone start using the PC, and transfer the data to the main PC, or something like that, more simple I dont want get up the chair, and walk along 80 PC's looking around like crazy guy who lost something.

If you can provide a link for a trailer or a place to buy the software will be great.

Thanks
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

I don't know if I understand you right, but you want a program which tells the main computer..."someone has logged onto/out me" and counts how long that was..."the user xyz is since xSec on" or "was xSec on".
Am I right?

For that thing I have no idea what to use.

But if you want to look on other pcs desktop and/or take control without walking around you could just use RealVnc(free version available) or TightVNC(open-source);both platform independent.

The platform you search for is for windows or?
kouta

Post by kouta »

AnimeOtaku wrote:I don't know if I understand you right, but you want a program which tells the main computer..."someone has logged onto/out me" and counts how long that was..."the user xyz is since xSec on" or "was xSec on".
exactly.
thanks, but i will check the other progz for other use.
egg

Post by egg »

There are various logging utilities that will probably record what you want (I have not used them, so I don't have a recommendation), but it will probably be easier to have them do their logs locally and then have a different application sync them. One program that I have used successfully to sync files is SyncBack, you can have it sync frequently and have near realtime data. Note, there are 2 versions of this program, SyncBackSE is a Shareware version (and the one they plaster all over their website), but there is a freeware version called SyncBack, it is available at the bottom of the download page.

As far as VNC is concerned, I would recommend UltraVNC. I have to use VNC for various clients and UltraVNC is quite good. They take features from all the various VNC versions, so whatever feature you like with the other versions should be in this one. Also this has the best screen scaling that I have seen from VNC. VNC should only be used on a local network. It is not inherently secure, if you want something to use over the internet you either need to add some plug-ins (UltraVNC has some) or use something different. My favorite is LogMeIn, this works from any browser on the internet and does not require opening a port in your firewall.
kouta

Post by kouta »

i dont need a monitring software cause it will not do anything and the sync program its way too complecated for a simple matter, and there will be no privcy for the coustmer .

thanks
Last edited by kouta on Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

http://www.tightvnc.com/
http://www.realvnc.com/

Today I read on a german newssite about an open-source application for monitoring clients it's called "zabbix" it's of course free. But it is mainly made for Linux/Unix machines, but as far as I understood it supports monitoring of windows clients, too.

http://www.zabbix.org/