[REQ] More Information About Group Release Ratings

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

AdemoS

[REQ] More Information About Group Release Ratings

Post by AdemoS »

Rather then just a one rating number, allow viewers to rate the individual aspects of a anime release.

Example
- Translation Quality: 9
- Typesetting Quality: 7
- Raw Quality: 8
- Encoding Quality: 6
- Sound Quality: 5

I say this because, at the moment, unless a commenter has specifically brought it up, there's no simple way to check the rating of those individual characterisitics.

If there was a simple menu to rate the group's work by characteristic, it'd be much easier to know which release shines in what areas.

The basic idea is: more information about a group's releases in a simpler setup.

And the comments will still be there, for any specifics.

There may be something I left out of the Example list, or a better term for those characteristics. If anyone has suggestions, I welcome them.
czpetab

Re: [Request] More Information About Group Release Ratings

Post by czpetab »

AdemoS wrote:Rather then just a one rating number, allow viewers to rate the individual aspects of a anime release.
Example
- Translation Quality: 9
- Typesetting Quality: 7
- Raw Quality: 8
- Encoding Quality: 6
- Sound Quality: 5
What would you do with gazillions ratings already there, I don't think just computing score from the individual characteristics would be the same as the vote used previously.
How many people are there who watch subs and can REALLY judge the quality of the translation? How many people watched both the raw and the subbed version?
I believe that group ratings are unfortunately screwed very much for many reasons, like fanboyism/hate towards certain groups, inability to judge the release objectively, overemphasizing the karaoke, or even taking into account a speed of the release. Well, even such biased ratings are still better than none, I myself use them as a hint when choosing among groups I had never watched before.
If there should be detailed rating for a group release of a series (keep in mind there's no such thing even when you rate an anime, only in reviews), I think this should be enough:
1. Translation Quality - how much was lost in translation (should have option Not Applicable/ Don't know)
2. <Can't think of name>: here you could rate how good subtitles are besides #1: how smooth and natural the language is, how many spelling/grammar errors are there, lack/existence of explanatory (trans., cultural, etc.) notes
3. Typesetting: (default) font used, timing, editing (amount of text on the screen at once), translated signs etc., karaoke
4. Encode quality (for both video and audio)

I don't think there is a chance of something like that being implemented anyway. To me it seems like too much effort, there's issue with backwards compatibility and it wouldn't bring anything that important - in the end one number ought to be enough.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

very good argumentation czpetab it's everything i would have wanted to say, but usually i just go with "no" as thta requires less typing :P

but yeah denied by heaven for obvious above stated reasons.