[REQ] Mylist: filter by storage text

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

kazuma6666

[REQ] Mylist: filter by storage text

Post by kazuma6666 »

First, the topic I made in the support forum, asking if the fonctionnality existed : here.

So as I said in the original topic, I'm using hard drives to stock anime, and not using DVDs anymore. I'd like to be able to filter mylist to have only the content of a specific hard drive. I'm using the storage field completed with webaom, so i'm sure that it's always the same for a single hard disk. When the hard disk is full, I change the character string to another for the next HDD. So we can identify the content of a HDD by filtering the storage field for a specific text value.

Would that be feasible? Would that be useful for other people? If the reactions are positive I'll create a feature request on the tracker later.
Last edited by kazuma6666 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

why would it be useful? isn't it more "right" to figure out what to watch and then find out where it's located?

to me this looks like 1337ness with no real usage. however, we got lots of that already. it boils down to performance considerations.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Kazuma, you should seriously just use windows search. Add the anime folders to the index and you'll get instant result to your searches.

(I think you can add indexed folders in pre-vista versions of windows at least.)

If that doesn't work, use google desktop.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

PetriW wrote:Kazuma, you should seriously just use windows search. Add the anime folders to the index and you'll get instant result to your searches.

(I think you can add indexed folders in pre-vista versions of windows at least.)

If that doesn't work, use google desktop.
yeah, at least in any 2k+ windows, it's a feature that's just disabled by default because nobody likes to be doing something and getting all slow because windows thought it was a nice time to index your files.
Vista added options to sort that issue out (and we have better systems).

(it's like locate... you are all happy doing nothing and then, bam! 100% cpu load on your single core system and you are like NO!!!!)
kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

epoximator wrote:why would it be useful? isn't it more "right" to figure out what to watch and then find out where it's located?

to me this looks like 1337ness with no real usage. however, we got lots of that already. it boils down to performance considerations.
Well it's a usefull feature for me since a lot of friends come to my house to get some anime :). So it's easier if I can provide them with a well made list of what's on the current disk, they can choose what they want to see easily and then copy it. It could also be useful to exclude the HDDs that are not accessible at the moment (not connected), so I can see what I can watch without connecting other devices. Maybe it's not usefull for the community, then I won't ask for it. This was the main reason of the post, see if others would like a feature like that.

The main point of that feature is the interface of mylist in anidb. I can click the link of any serie to check the description, see the reviews and votes. So the windows search is not really what I'm looking for. Still, I never used the indexing service of windows, it might be interesting for specific folder if it makes the search instant :) Thanks for the tip.

It doesn't seem like it would be usefull for others, when I read the replies hehe. Thanks anyway for the feedback!
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

well, if you don't update your list that often you can use mylist exports, you just need to write a new template or modify one of the existing to your needs.

though obviously that's only for offline usage but anyways epox said that we already have some not that useful features so adding one more is more an issue with performance than any other thing. Though your request does have its uses.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

btw, since you already use it, webaom offers this functionality. in the "alt" view you can filter by path and availability. you have to set up a database to make it really useful, though

another approach is to make webaom add the aid in the folder name and then make an app which opens the corresponding anime page with the provided aid. then integrate it in explorer so you can just right click a folder and select "open anidb page".
kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

Very interesting info epoximator, that was the point of my first post in the support forum. If there is a way to do it, I'll use it instead of asking for new things!

Well now I have to set up a DB, but that's a good practice, it's been a while since last time :) Afterchecking the webaom help page again, it seemsthat'sit's the best for me. Thanks for the info !
About the other approach, I'm not too sure how to implement this, I'll try to get some info, because that's probably the closest to what I need.
Last edited by kazuma6666 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

After reading that page, I can see that I'm not the first to have that idea hehe. Well I'll use webaom in the meantime, I'll try to set up a DB and use the provided interface better, since I didn't know a lot of things.
kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

epoximator wrote: another approach is to make webaom add the aid in the folder name and then make an app which opens the corresponding anime page with the provided aid. then integrate it in explorer so you can just right click a folder and select "open anidb page".
I'm quite interested in what you said there. First I'd like to know how to "add the aid in the folder name" with aom. Not really sure what you meant in fact. After that it's just a bit of programming I suppose, I'll ask some programmer friends for that probably.

Ah BTW I got a mysql database now on my computer. Is it possible to use a distant DB in webaom or should I always have my database local? I tried to use webaom on another computer but it wouldn't connect to the DB. Might be a configuration problem also... I'm getting a new comp soon, and I think I'm gonna use the old one to get host the DB, and the new one will run webaom.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

with webaom: DO ADD ' (%aid)' @ the end of the move rules

http://static.anidb.net/client/aid.rar

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\aid]
@="aid"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\aid\command]
@="\"c:\\aid.exe\" \"%1\""
and yes, you can use a non-local db
kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

Ah ok thanks I understand better :) Didn't know it was the anime ID you were talking about. I tried to use the program, but I got an "access is denied" error with a title box containing "E:\downloads\Egao [1] 2003 (1193)" which is the name of the folder I was clicking. It was also in the box, before the error message. I'm administrator on my computer. I created the key aid and subkey command with the values "aid" and "\"c:\\aid.exe\" \"%1\"". Not sure what I did wrong...

About the DB, it's probably a configuration problem on my end, I'll recheck the firewall and ports, and test the DB outside of webaom prolly. I was just making sure :)
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

windows xp? or..

try this in a cmd window

Code: Select all

aid "test (1)"
kazuma6666

Post by kazuma6666 »

yes this is windows xp. When I tried aid "test (1)" in a cmd window, it said "the system cannot execute the specified program" :(. Not sure why...