No more "Expand All"?

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

at some point 'anime3' will replace 'anime', if some of you didn't get that. so it will be easily available to everyone

development of the non js version is not going faster than the js version, so "while we wait on the js version" isn't a good argument.

btw, imo, it's much more easy to compare files for that anime now than before (even with the non js version). i'm pretty sure it takes more time even for you to go through all files instead of just checking group by group

forgot to say; something like kidan mentioned will probably be implemented
egg

Post by egg »

epoximator wrote:at some point 'anime3' will replace 'anime', if some of you didn't get that. so it will be easily available to everyone
I knew it would be the default later, but my point was for testing and for users that want the features of anime3 it would be fairly easy to write a greasemonkey script that would change urls to anime3 for now so that it would be more accessible. It was partly a useless solution because the main person that would want it I believe uses IE... :twisted:
egg

Post by egg »

Probably not the most efficient or bugfree way of doing it, but it appears to work...

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name        UseAnime3
// @description Use test (anime3) page for anime
// @include     http://anidb.info/*
// ==/UserScript==

(
function()
{
	var links = document.evaluate('//a[@href]', document, null, XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null);
	for (var i = 0; i < links.snapshotLength; i++)
	{
		var link = links.snapshotItem(i);
		if(link.href.match(/show=anime&/))
		{
			link.href = link.href.replace(/show=anime&/, 'show=anime3&');
		}
	}
}
)();
Amour

Post by Amour »

egg wrote:It was partly a useless solution because the main person that would want it I believe uses IE... :twisted:
If it about using an external solution, I can do it my own way, using proxy:
@Find:show=anime&
@Replace:show=anime3&
I just dislike to use proxy, because AniDB is not a website only for me, but a website for a community: it's better when it works for everybody, including IE users.
egg

Post by egg »

Amour wrote:I just dislike to use proxy, because AniDB is not a website only for me, but a website for a community: it's better when it works for everybody, including IE users.
Well from what I have seen, it is not ready for general usage yet, so until it gets cleaned up a bit it will not be done on the server side.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

egg wrote:
Amour wrote:I just dislike to use proxy, because AniDB is not a website only for me, but a website for a community: it's better when it works for everybody, including IE users.
Well from what I have seen, it is not ready for general usage yet, so until it gets cleaned up a bit it will not be done on the server side.
yeah, it's not ready for general usage hence show=anime3 existing side by side with show=anime.
It could have been kept in secret till oblivion but lots of persons testing is much more useful than me trying to find all the bugs in what i wrote :P
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

bvitnik wrote:Well I don't use aniDB for maintaining my collection, I just use it for browsing. For example to see what groups did the series, in what language, and to compare their file size, quality, resolution, source etc. which, until now, I could do on a single page. Now I have to open multiple pages, one per group or one per episode and it is not very usefull and is time consuming. By adding this new feature, you already lowered server load because most people will use it instead of "Expand All", so there is no reason to remove "Expand All" completely. I see it only as crippling of aniDB functionality.

(Extreme) Example: Some anime title has 200 eps. No group did it completely, some dropped it and some continued it where the first stopped, some overlaped. We have some masohistic anime fan (or some kind of webcrawler) who wants to see "what things are out there". He can:
1. Open multiple pages, one page per group (to see all details he wants).
2. Open multiple pages, one per episode (200 of them).

Either way he will cause much more server load than before when he could open just a SINGLE page with all information he needs.

You see my point?

You could leave "Expand All" feature along with those new features and monitor server load. If it is not lower than it used to be then it is only rational to remove it for good, but if it is lower than it used to be, than you could leave it :D .
In worst case you could have it implemented but leave it "hidden", with no button to click, but with posibility for users to input that option manualy in adress (for example with "&expandall=-1").
You could also regulate server load by assigning priorities to Anime pages so small animes will have higher priority and huge animes will have lower. Ofcourse Anime pages of those huge animes will open slowly, but hey, a few seconds or minutes more is not a bit deal.
Gambit wrote:Eagerly awaiting that then :) I am one of the people who could appreciate the 'Expand all' function as well, especially when you`re searching for groups who continued after the group you followed it from dropped it.

A huge annoying feat is that in the 'summary', where it tells about the 'last episode' a group subbed, it doesn`t give any info about whether or not the group did any other episodes. Some groups happen to sub only the last few episodes, so they get tagged as 'Complete', although they didn`t do the entire series. That`s why I personally don`t use the top 'summary' because it doesn`t provide the info I look for.
You can get the info of ALL those things without having to open up any extra pages or having to use 'show=anime3'.
  • You can see the languages in the group status box;

To compare between groups, all you have to do is expand 1 episode and that should generally be enough because groups do not tend to change the method and structure of the files they release and want to keep 'uniformity'. You may want to expand an ep at the start of a series and then at the end just to make sure, however;

Knowing the last episode the group released before dropping is enough, just go to the next episode and expand it to see which groups picked it up/are still doing it and repeat the same process again when needed;

Censored vs uncensored for hentais is even easier... just look at the groups that did it and the languages used. If there are no groups, just expand 'no group' and see if there's an uncensored raw or not;
All this won't add to server load but will require you ppl to be less lazy.
goldenb

Post by goldenb »

I just wanted to say that although I was a frequent user of the "Expand All" feat I tried the "show=anime3" feat (lackin a better name for it) and it's not bad at all

I tried the new animepage beta version a few months ago(the thread said fahrenheit was awol lol), even back then I thought it was great (and it has gone throught improvements since then) so honestly I don't think the disappearance of the "exp all" feat is a lost if we're going towards something like that even if it takes some time
Maybe this is not the right thread for this question but I saw a post by fahrenheit saying he's no longer on this project and I was kind of disappointed cause the version he was doing was looking very good but he's actively participating in this development thread so did he really quit? (hope not)

On a more global note I support the idea of everyone contributing with their points of view for the development of the anidb site, but repeating a request that has been already denied (quite a few times...) is something useless and time would be better spent at finding new solutions.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

goldenb wrote:Maybe this is not the right thread for this question but I saw a post by fahrenheit saying he's no longer on this project and I was kind of disappointed cause the version he was doing was looking very good but he's actively participating in this development thread so did he really quit? (hope not)
Yeah i'm still on it, seeing no one else wants to be up to the troubles :P
I did went mia, had to stay in hospital a bit and then there were *some* issues that took away my interest in coding more of the thing but i regained the interest, so here i am.
goldenb wrote:On a more global note I support the idea of everyone contributing with their points of view for the development of the anidb site, but repeating a request that has been already denied (quite a few times...) is something useless and time would be better spent at finding new solutions.
I also think that is the way to evolve anidb, that is why users have the forum and more recently the tracker. Though pushy ppl really tend to make things worse for themselves :P
StopD

Post by StopD »

finally!!!

i've asked for an expand by group or expand by language button for years...
Amour

Post by Amour »

StopD, So you're the one responsible for the disapearance of the "expand all". :D
Glurak

Post by Glurak »

"Show all" is disabled?
Then at least I request expanding by JavaScript, so the page won't whole redownload every "expand this entry" click, just needed info that 'll be parsed and attached by client's side script. It 'll ease server and shorten my waiting. And it won't be "forgoten" by clicking another "expand this entry" button.
ricce

Post by ricce »

Glurak wrote:"Show all" is disabled?
Then at least I request expanding by JavaScript, so the page won't whole redownload every "expand this entry" click, just needed info that 'll be parsed and attached by client's side script. It 'll ease server and shorten my waiting. And it won't be "forgoten" by clicking another "expand this entry" button.
Try to change "show=anime" to "show=anime3" in the URL on animepage...

Also see:
http://forum.anidb.net/viewtopic.php?t=6130
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

where is the kickban button?
Prisma

Post by Prisma »

I really like the new expand by group feature.

However I also tend to choose my files depending on the 'Users' column in hopes of better availability. So it whould be nice to have a 'top users' expand button, showing the top2 files for each ep in regards to the 'Users' column.
Often but not always these files are released by the same group, but in all other cases it might be a neat feature.