No more "Expand All"?

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

egg

Post by egg »

Here is a related tracker item:
"Eps Done" under group info on anime page

Here was my proposal for dealing with the merges/splits of groups:
Group Status for an Anime [tracked]

These would go a long way toward helping. Consider this:
fahrenheit wrote:group A starts anime, group B joins group A, group A drops, group B continues, group B drops, group A resumes and finishes.
There would still be no complete group, but with both of these implemented you could tell that A worked on 1-18, 23-26 and B worked on 6-22. Which is a lot closer than you would be today.

Also collecting the stats for my idea would also help out the stats on the group pages, giving groups credit for participating with other groups without going through each related group to find the details.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

fahrenheit wrote:
epoximator wrote:i've though a bit about some way to group files together, ie. "these files are considered to be one release". allowing files without group / different groups (joints off/on), differentiate xvid/h264 releases / re-encodes (vs versioning) and so on... we already have filerels and "bundled" but i'm not sure yet how it should be done (this is very related to the group/group-relations cleanup we have to do some day)
One time i tried to do this (create parent groups and group files together) client-side, it didn't work too well, it needs a lot of server work done before (the group relations work), but it helped a bit in understanding cases like, group A starts anime, group B joins group A, group A drops, group B continues, group B drops, group A resumes and finishes.
That`s what I meant, yes, thank you, fahrenheit :)
I honestly don`t see an easy way to display the entire 'row' of that process, where you want to see all episodes from A, A-B and B in 1 selection. But that`s practically what I would like to see in my web-interface. Unfortunately, the only way of displaying that used to be the expand-all. Which was annoying as hell for longer series if you only get to hear 2 months afterwards that the original group has dropped it, or did a joint with another group instead, or that the joint broke off and one of the groups continues it alone.

... a notification-switch from 1 group to joint-group would be appreciated there, or the other way around - from joint to splitted groups instead. Although sometimes both groups continue alone, which makes it a bit more complicated again ;) But that might be a bit off-topic in this thread.
nunpoom

Post by nunpoom »

How's about this... instead of having a expand button for every group, change button to a check box and add a display button. This way you can choose which group you really want to expand and compare them. Everybody happy. :D

Also, after you expand the Episode list I think the group list SHOULD stay expanded (if you click 'show all' before). This is always been a problem for me, since every time I want to choose the group that wasn't on the top of the group list, I have to keep clicking 'show all' cause the list is always close after it expand the Episode list.
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

the ajax version covers that. did you even try it?
fahrenheit wrote:Anyways you can try using show=anime3 instead of show=anime to browse those pages, maybe it helps in some of the situations you mentioned.
Amour

Post by Amour »

* The Ajax version does not sort the files by size (but it was possible a few weeks ago when fahrenheit let me test it).
* The Ajax version does not work with IE7 (but it was working fine a few weeks ago when fahrenheit let me test it)

As for the current way (without Ajax), I would suggest to default the display to “show all groups”.
nunpoom

Post by nunpoom »

epoximator wrote:the ajax version covers that. did you even try it?
fahrenheit wrote:Anyways you can try using show=anime3 instead of show=anime to browse those pages, maybe it helps in some of the situations you mentioned.
OH 8O I thought you said it wasn't online yet. Anyway, I test it out and it mad lag and there were a lot of bugs waiting to be fix. Sometime group list won't expand all the groups, numbers of files are incorrect, etc. Ajax looks very promising but what about now? *sign* You take expand-all away too soon.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

Amour wrote:* The Ajax version does not sort the files by size (but it was possible a few weeks ago when fahrenheit let me test it).
* The Ajax version does not work with IE7 (but it was working fine a few weeks ago when fahrenheit let me test it)

As for the current way (without Ajax), I would suggest to default the display to “show all groups”.
Had to drop sorting for the file table, it messed up file<->file relations (as in if you expanded a file relation the sorting would get all messed up and to solve that the sorting function would need to be reworked to take in consideration file relations and as i have other pages that use the sorting function, it was just better to drop sorting). As for the initial sort being done by file id, just live with that :P

It works with IE7 and 6, though some setups have issues (like yours), i was asking for you today about that in #anidb about that.
Amour

Post by Amour »

Ok, for IE, it is working. I simply had to check "HTTP 1.1 with proxy".
kidan

Post by kidan »

What about a matrix representation, where each group is put as a column and the episodes are used as rows. Then if a group did an episode the matching cell is shaded in a colour (in accordance to the group). Joined groups should be placed between their parents and their colour should be the mixture of both parent group colours.

This would give a quick (cacheable) overview whch group covered which part of an anime series.
HiEv

Post by HiEv »

Any chance "Expand All" could be returned for shows with just six episodes or less? Generally I use it for hentai series to see if uncensored/subtitled versions are released yet. Sometimes different groups will release censored/subtitled, uncensored/unsubtitled, and/or uncensored/subtitled versions, and "Expand All" let me see who's done what and for what episodes. Since it's only a few episodes then it shouldn't cause much additional load, especially when compared to checking several episodes individually to get the same information.

The downside, of course, being that people will ask, "Why only six?" Still, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :)
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

Amour wrote:As for the current way (without Ajax), I would suggest to default the display to “show all groups”.
no way, too much spam.
HiEv wrote:Any chance "Expand All" could be returned for shows with just six episodes or less? Generally I use it for hentai series to see if uncensored/subtitled versions are released yet.
that's the most cheesy argument so far. the ajax version handles this much better. (expanding one ep should be enough in most cases anyway)
Amour

Post by Amour »

We just have to hope that the Ajax version will be online faster than AOM 0.6, because currently we are in some kind of restricted version of AniDB, as we can't expand freely unless we manually rename the URL.
egg

Post by egg »

Amour wrote:We just have to hope that the Ajax version will be online faster than AOM 0.6, because currently we are in some kind of restricted version of AniDB, as we can't expand freely unless we manually rename the URL.
Well you could write a greasemonkey script to do it...
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

and if you people would just _read_ what others write you wouldn't even have to wait
Anyways you can try using show=anime3 instead of show=anime to browse those pages, maybe it helps in some of the situations you mentioned.
HiEv

Post by HiEv »

epoximator wrote:
HiEv wrote:Any chance "Expand All" could be returned for shows with just six episodes or less? Generally I use it for hentai series to see if uncensored/subtitled versions are released yet.
that's the most cheesy argument so far. the ajax version handles this much better. (expanding one ep should be enough in most cases anyway)
It's nice that you think it's "cheesy," but one episode often isn't enough. For example, compare the large differences between eps. 1, 3, & 5 for Shin Bible Black. As mentioned earlier, there are problems with the Ajax version as well, not to mention it's not obvious to most users that it's even available, let alone how to use it.

I didn't really expect overwhelming support for the idea, but I thought it would be useful without causing excessive server load.