No more "Expand All"?

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

bvitnik
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 pm

No more "Expand All"?

Post by bvitnik » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:03 pm

It is not posible any more to expand Anime page for all episodes with all groups (very useful). Is it just temporarely or is that feature completely removed now? I don't see any point in removing it, lowering server load maybe?

Edit: Uh, now I saw on the main page it was removed intentionaly. Why then???

PetriW
AniDB Staff
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 2:34 pm

Post by PetriW » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Beacuse it causes too much load of course, I seriously doubt it'll ever return.

The new way it A LOT better, just expand the group you want to add files from.

bvitnik
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Post by bvitnik » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Well I don't use aniDB for maintaining my collection, I just use it for browsing. For example to see what groups did the series, in what language, and to compare their file size, quality, resolution, source etc. which, until now, I could do on a single page. Now I have to open multiple pages, one per group or one per episode and it is not very usefull and is time consuming. By adding this new feature, you already lowered server load because most people will use it instead of "Expand All", so there is no reason to remove "Expand All" completely. I see it only as crippling of aniDB functionality.

(Extreme) Example: Some anime title has 200 eps. No group did it completely, some dropped it and some continued it where the first stopped, some overlaped. We have some masohistic anime fan (or some kind of webcrawler) who wants to see "what things are out there". He can:
1. Open multiple pages, one page per group (to see all details he wants).
2. Open multiple pages, one per episode (200 of them).

Either way he will cause much more server load than before when he could open just a SINGLE page with all information he needs.

You see my point?

You could leave "Expand All" feature along with those new features and monitor server load. If it is not lower than it used to be then it is only rational to remove it for good, but if it is lower than it used to be, than you could leave it :D .
In worst case you could have it implemented but leave it "hidden", with no button to click, but with posibility for users to input that option manualy in adress (for example with "&expandall=-1").
You could also regulate server load by assigning priorities to Anime pages so small animes will have higher priority and huge animes will have lower. Ofcourse Anime pages of those huge animes will open slowly, but hey, a few seconds or minutes more is not a bit deal.

eSK_tr0jAn
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:29 am

Post by eSK_tr0jAn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:47 pm

i too think this was a main feature of aniDB when compairing releases. i miss it a lot. i just hope u guys can put it up again. without it is very bothersome to compare fansubs and releases...

User avatar
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Portugal

Post by fahrenheit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:00 pm

bvitnik wrote:Well I don't use aniDB for maintaining my collection, I just use it for browsing. For example to see what groups did the series, in what language, and to compare their file size, quality, resolution, source etc. which, until now, I could do on a single page. Now I have to open multiple pages, one per group or one per episode and it is not very usefull and is time consuming. By adding this new feature, you already lowered server load because most people will use it instead of "Expand All", so there is no reason to remove "Expand All" completely. I see it only as crippling of aniDB functionality.
Expand all is just something that not every user uses, but those you use it tend to provoke an heavy load on the server, thus crippling other users experience, especially for pages like Naruto, which by it self is heavy as hell...

Anyways you can try using show=anime3 instead of show=anime to browse those pages, maybe it helps in some of the situations you mentioned.

Noratav
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:51 pm

Post by Noratav » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Just a suggestion, but if you're not going to bring the expand all back, could you at least allow two (or more?) groups to be expanded at the same time.

In between the group status table on the anime page and the ability to expand individual groups releases/episodes I think most people have all the information they need to compare releases easily, but a feature like that would still be useful.

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Post by exp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Well,

expand all is definitely gone for good. It is just too heavy on the server and has too little real use.
There are really hardly any good reasons why you would want to have an expand all button. The load issue with expanding multiple episodes will be solved once we put the new ajax version of the anime page online.
Being able to expand multiple groups might be interesting for the ajax version.

BYe!
EXP

User avatar
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Portugal

Post by fahrenheit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Noratav wrote:Just a suggestion, but if you're not going to bring the expand all back, could you at least allow two (or more?) groups to be expanded at the same time.

In between the group status table on the anime page and the ability to expand individual groups releases/episodes I think most people have all the information they need to compare releases easily, but a feature like that would still be useful.
you could have tried what i told in my previous post, replace show=anime with show=anime3

PetriW
AniDB Staff
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 2:34 pm

Post by PetriW » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:29 pm

So like, how do we make anime3 the default? ;) Granted, it seems a bit buggy but anyway. :)

User avatar
Rar
AniDB Staff
Posts: 1471
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:41 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Rar » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:35 pm

s/a bit/a lot/

(Hi IRC!!111)

Rar

bvitnik
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Post by bvitnik » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:42 am

fahrenheit wrote:Anyways you can try using show=anime3 instead of show=anime to browse those pages...
Yeeeeeeeessss, this is something completely different, much more usefull. I didn't know you had something like this up you sleeve 8O . A bit buggy and slow because of all the javascript but good. Is this the new ajax version exp mentioned?
exp wrote:There are really hardly any good reasons why you would want to have an expand all button
Sorry but that is only your oppinion and I don't share that oppinion. It all depends on how you use aniDB and data on it and what for. It is still hard for me to believe that expand all caused THAT much server load that you were forced to remove it, but if you say so, then it is so.

OK, I posted here on behalf of those aniDB users that miss expand all feat. Thanks for your answers. I hope new ajax version of anime page will be put to work soon.

User avatar
exp
Site Admin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:42 pm
Location: Nowhere

Post by exp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:31 am

PetriW wrote:So like, how do we make anime3 the default? ;) Granted, it seems a bit buggy but anyway. :)
rar wrote:s/a bit/a lot/
tracker it! :P

I didn't notice that the ajax version already supported multiple group expands x_X
rar wrote:A bit buggy and slow because of all the javascript but good. Is this the new ajax version exp mentioned?
yes, that is the ajax version which is still under development. If you want to see it in action soon, help with testing and be sure to report any bugs you might find.

BYe!
EXP

User avatar
Gambit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:21 am

Post by Gambit » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:34 am

exp wrote:expand all is definitely gone for good. It is just too heavy on the server and has too little real use.
There are really hardly any good reasons why you would want to have an expand all button. The load issue with expanding multiple episodes will be solved once we put the new ajax version of the anime page online.
Being able to expand multiple groups might be interesting for the ajax version.
Eagerly awaiting that then :) I am one of the people who could appreciate the 'Expand all' function as well, especially when you`re searching for groups who continued after the group you followed it from dropped it.

A huge annoying feat is that in the 'summary', where it tells about the 'last episode' a group subbed, it doesn`t give any info about whether or not the group did any other episodes. Some groups happen to sub only the last few episodes, so they get tagged as 'Complete', although they didn`t do the entire series. That`s why I personally don`t use the top 'summary' because it doesn`t provide the info I look for.

epoximator
AniDB Staff
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:05 am

Post by epoximator » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:21 am

Gambit wrote:Some groups happen to sub only the last few episodes, so they get tagged as 'Complete', although they didn`t do the entire series. That`s why I personally don`t use the top 'summary' because it doesn`t provide the info I look for.
that's not correct. such releases are marked 'finished'. it has been like that for quite some time. anyway, the group box could be improved. all suggestions are welcomed

i've though a bit about some way to group files together, ie. "these files are considered to be one release". allowing files without group / different groups (joints off/on), differentiate xvid/h264 releases / re-encodes (vs versioning) and so on... we already have filerels and "bundled" but i'm not sure yet how it should be done (this is very related to the group/group-relations cleanup we have to do some day)

User avatar
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Portugal

Post by fahrenheit » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:02 pm

Rar wrote:s/a bit/a lot/

(Hi IRC!!111)

Rar
there, added all the icons i use atm.
epoximator wrote:i've though a bit about some way to group files together, ie. "these files are considered to be one release". allowing files without group / different groups (joints off/on), differentiate xvid/h264 releases / re-encodes (vs versioning) and so on... we already have filerels and "bundled" but i'm not sure yet how it should be done (this is very related to the group/group-relations cleanup we have to do some day)
One time i tried to do this (create parent groups and group files together) client-side, it didn't work too well, it needs a lot of server work done before (the group relations work), but it helped a bit in understanding cases like, group A starts anime, group B joins group A, group A drops, group B continues, group B drops, group A resumes and finishes.
exp wrote:I didn't notice that the ajax version already supported multiple group expands x_X

yes, that is the ajax version which is still under development. If you want to see it in action soon, help with testing and be sure to report any bugs you might find.

BYe!
EXP
It supports multiple group expands since before the last release (wed of that week) :P

yeah test and point bugs and possible solutions if you can :P

Locked