"advanced" rating

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

slvl

"advanced" rating

Post by slvl »

To make it harder on the downvoters, wouldn't it be an idea to split the rating in three or four elements, like audio quality, video quality, translation and styling? This makes it clearer for other users to see why a specific rating is given plus false votes are easier to spot.
worf

Post by worf »

uh, and how exactly would it be easier to spot false votes? besides, how many ppl do you think are actually capable of rating the quality of the translation? more than 5?
and the rating for audio quality would be the same for most releases with the same source (dtv, dvd) anyway.
slvl

Post by slvl »

If a vote consists of only real low or real high numbers (say all 1's or 10's) it is probably a false, or at least not objective vote, since there is no perfect release.

Translations is perhaps not the best word to use. It includes the whole scope: does it make sense, are there any grammatical or type errors, etc.

You may be right for the audio. However if two groups use different sources the audio quality does count. There is also the possibility of editing the original source, synchronisation and the likes.

Of course the points to be rated are debatable. This suggestion is more about spreading the total vote over a number of parts which make up the quality of a release. The main point is to make it more clear why a release or releases from a specific group are rated the way they are. The fact that false votes may be easier to detect is just extra.

If anyone sees any loopholes in this or has a better way to make the rating more transparent, feel free.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

slvl wrote:Translations is perhaps not the best word to use. It includes the whole scope: does it make sense, are there any grammatical or type errors, etc.
I suppose you`re talking about group-votes per series? Since it`s fairly impossible to give one vote to a broad range of fansubgroups doing a particular episode/series.
At first I thought you were talking about votes for an anime, but obviously that`s not the case. You should be a bit clearer in that.

As for your suggestion, I doubt that`ll work. Even if you meant 'editing' instead of translation, most people are not native English speakers, so of course their knowledge won`t be able to point out all kinds of errors.
It`s just more work. So there will be even less votes cast. And of those votes, how many do you think are English native speakers? And how many English native speakers do you think also actually speak proper English? Don`t underestimate the power of bad grammar ;)
Not to mention that those people might not have any clue about audio.

No, what you want is a Jury doing a research paper on that particular group for that particular series. Either that, or a WTF-kind of approach, it seems. I think it`s better to just have votes with a comment. Kind of like how the Review-system works (worked?). But that`s already kind of implemented for the group-rating system - except that it`s not mandatory to cast the comment, or the vote.

Note: WTF stands for 'We The Fans'
slvl

Post by slvl »

I meant group-votes per series. Sorry that it wasn't clear.

At the moment people give their group/the group they watch a single rating from 1 - 10. It is not clear why a particular group gets a specific rating for that series. "Why was it so good? " or "why is it so bad?": language, picture quality or the karaoke? Or is it just because it's from "group X"?

Of course people can elaborate on their decision with a comment. However not many are able or willing to do so. This could be "too much of a hassle" or they are unable to write in english properly.

As for the approach: It should be an extension of the current system. Instead of just one rating the user enters a number of ratings for particular components that make up a release. Which those components are ought to be determined further. The ones I named should be considered examples. They are the ones I read in the comments from time to time.

edit: instead of a numbered rating those components could be rated with a star system or "bad, average, good" rating with an additional 1-10 overall rating (as it is in its current form)
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

slvl wrote:I meant group-votes per series. Sorry that it wasn't clear.

At the moment people give their group/the group they watch a single rating from 1 - 10. It is not clear why a particular group gets a specific rating for that series. "Why was it so good? " or "why is it so bad?": language, picture quality or the karaoke? Or is it just because it's from "group X"?

Of course people can elaborate on their decision with a comment. However not many are able or willing to do so. This could be "too much of a hassle" or they are unable to write in english properly.

As for the approach: It should be an extension of the current system. Instead of just one rating the user enters a number of ratings for particular components that make up a release. Which those components are ought to be determined further. The ones I named should be considered examples. They are the ones I read in the comments from time to time.

edit: instead of a numbered rating those components could be rated with a star system or "bad, average, good" rating with an additional 1-10 overall rating (as it is in its current form)
what about this, anidb would add 3 (or how many you wish) combo boxes to select your ratings, and a sum of those ratings would fill the current rating and the sub ratings you entered would be displayed in the comment field:

Combo Boxes:
Visual Aspects: 8
Audio Aspects: 7
Translation/Typesetting Aspects: 6

Current Rating = 8 * 0.33 + 7 * 0.33 + 6 * 0.33 = 7

Current comment field:
Visual Aspects: 8
Audio Aspects: 7
Translation/Typesetting Aspects: 6
Comment: Some text for the rating as is currently