Add a gender option

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

Jozer

Add a gender option

Post by Jozer »

It will be good if you add an option where the user can set his gender.
It can be hidden by default to other user, but it will be usefull if you use it to make 2 toplist like these:
http://imdb.com/chart/male
http://imdb.com/chart/female

I think that it will be a good idea :)

( sorry for my bad english )
Rar
AniDB Staff

Re: Add a gender option

Post by Rar »

Jozer wrote:It will be good if you add an option where the user can set his gender.
Nice use of pronoun to invalidate feature request.

Rar
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

the question here is whether such data would have any real meaning.
for one male users probably by far out number female users and you can neither expect users to set that data at all nor to set it correctly.

with the number of users we have by now, 90% of votes would just be listed under "unspecified" gender.

however, improving the community aspects of anidb is on the todo list, so we might well add a gender option someday. the question is whether it would really be used anywhere (at least in the short run, that is unlikely).

BYe!
EXP
Jozer

Post by Jozer »

Hmmm, I don't know if it's difficult.
Is it possible to make a popup that asks the user ( if he/she is a registered user ) to set the gender?
You can add 2 options ( only ) in the profile ( M/F ), but a third ( invisible ) on the DB ( the unknown gender )
Results of the 2 future rating list will only elaborate users with one of the 2 flag ( F/M )
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

[ 11:00:24 ] [ @DerIdiot ] anidb user db
[ 11:00:29 ] [ @DerIdiot ] anidb user dating db
[ 11:00:38 ] [ @DerIdiot ] anidb user mariage db
[ 11:01:02 ] [ @DerIdiot ] anidb user childrenproducedbygettingtoknoweachotherthroughanidb db
think of the possibilities!!11!!11!!

[/sarcasm]
however, improving the community aspects of anidb is on the todo list, so we might well add a gender option someday. the question is whether it would really be used anywhere (at least in the short run, that is unlikely).
i agree on that. but putting sex or any other userrelated data into voting or whatever relation is silly. you first can't trust anyhting on the interweb and second it's deeply silly. extreme deeply silly even.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

interesting question here would be what kind of data should be collected @ community wise

so lets say we introduce a user details page, what would we allow the users to add?

accepted:

random ideas (never mind the silliness, this is meant to start a discussion):
- age/birthday
- nationality
- location (free text)
- username on forum/wiki/tracker/irc
- first anime seen
- watching anime since
- genre/category preferences (free text or dropdown selection) (might be usefull data for anime hint too) (maybe with weights, also negative listings, i.e. "dislikes genre horror")
- url?
- pic? (maybe only for adv. users)
- public email, icq/jabber/aim/yahoo/msn/...
- extra top5 anime selection (not related to anime votes, top5 for most users would be unsorted based on anime votes, very few users use fine grained votes)
- top5 manga selection
- top5 anime characters? (maybe available via votes in chardb someday)
- top5 seiyus? (same as above)
- top5 OST/song? (maybe available via votes in ostdb someday)
- top5 producers?

things which we already have in db and which could be listed:
- user's anime top10 / bottom10
- user's group top10 (by vote or file count) / bottom10
- user's last collected/watched anime
- all kinds of contribution stats
- time spend watching anime (total/avg per month/avg per week/this month/this week) (would break for people who do not update their mylists regularly)
- most time ever spend on anime watching within one week
- avg amount of anime watched by day of week
- oldest unwatched anime in mylist
- oldest/latest wishlist entries
- buddies
- fav. reviewers
- latest reviews/votes
- vote distribution
- latest files collected
- latest files watched
- which anidb features is this user using regularly (data not yet collected, but might be very interesting to get a better idea about largely unknown features, if we collect it, we could also display it on the user's page, dunno if that'd be interesting though... on the other hand it might promote exploration of yet unknown features, i.e. if you have a stat like "you seem know only 18% of anidbs features")

some of this information could also be shown in form of graphs.

there are probably tons of other things... just add them :P

BYe!
EXP
Jozer

Post by Jozer »

[ 11:00:29 ] [ @DerIdiot ] anidb user dating db
[ 11:00:38 ] [ @DerIdiot ] anidb user mariage db
[ 11:01:02 ] [ @DerIdiot ] anidb user childrenproducedbygettingtoknoweachotherthroughanidb db
I have already wrote that it must be an hidden information ( other users can't see it )
It will be used only by website to make statistics and ratings.

age/birthday ( another hidden info ) can be a great idea, a possible results:
"Best rated anime between a rage of years"
There are many other possibilities.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

and i wrote that's bs. making statistics our of things that have no vlaue to make them is utter bs. who i am and what i do has no big relevance on what i vote. even if people love to make you think otherwise. big corps make lots of money doing nothing else the whole day. doesn't mean it's any meaningful.

what we want is adding a bit more of a community effect. not pull data out of things that are just not meaningful.

to quote rar

"none of the various polls and ranking and stuff have any real relevence, because we don't conduct them in a statistically sound manner"
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

i personally want shoe size, so we can differentiate small footed monkeys from real men
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

user page discussion has not it's own thread.

http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5872

please add comments there.

BYe!
EXP
Jozer

Post by Jozer »

I'm happy to see that there is something moving now! :D
Thank you for all :wink: