Live Feeds (alternative notification)

Please report any sort of feature requests or bugs on the tracker instead of the forum! http://tracker.anidb.info

Moderator: AniDB

hardjowikr

Live Feeds (alternative notification)

Post by hardjowikr »

So all of a sudden a feature i would like to see popped in my head and I've been searchin the site to a link where i can add to my feed, but i can't find it. So i checked wiki...no result.

So if it isn't implemented yet then would't a live feed be great? I was thinking a ducplicate function like the "Notification". Every user has his own personal feed. A user can decide if that anime will be listed in their feed. Also function like to "automatically add feed if notifie is on" that will be available in profile.

Since most functions are already available for notification, these feeds can be easily implemented.

I am a web developer for a few years now so if you guys are short on "man power" I can lend a hand :) .
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I remember there being something like this, I'll poke exp later if noone remembers. :)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

so far we only have an rdf/rss feed for file additions but no personalized feeds.

the main reason for that are performance issues. but those could probably be solved. so a feature like this isn't impossible. the question is just whether we are motivated to work on it :P

the general trend is goind towards offering notifications in all kinds of ways anyway. right now we have:
- website
- UDP API
- Jabber IM Server

rss/rdf might be a logical next step. the only drawback is that rss/rdf as an automated pull service tends to create much more requests/accesses than the other methods. that should be easy to handle with some caching though.

BYe!
EXP
hardjowikr

Post by hardjowikr »

Mhhm, your right exp. But RDF/RSS uses less system and nethwork bandwith if i compare it with users like me. :oops:

This is how i handle anidb:
I use firefox. Anidb is saved in my session manager and always opens when i open firefox. My firefox is opened atleast 14 hours a day. FF also got a plugin called: "Reload every X". Which is always on and configured 10 secs for anidb. So every 10 sec my browser refresh the page and download the content again (or just refresh what isn't cached). I am assuming i got to load 80Kb for the complete anidb site.

My idea about RSS might be pretty simple but it goes like this:
Rss is build like the notification. Every user has his own identical link where they can get their own personal RSS feed. Same like the personal sharing link in profile. Mine is http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... &uid=19896 for example.

If the user then add their own personal link to any rss feed program. The system then automatically generate the feeds. Also same as notification, if they click on the link, that feed will not show again the next time.

The RSS file would be less than 0.2Kb to load.

Note: I don't know how well anidb is build and if its possible to easly integrate other options. I also have very little knowledge of the RSS Feeds category. So i might be a lil out of track here :oops:
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

hardjowikr wrote:I use firefox. Anidb is saved in my session manager and always opens when i open firefox. My firefox is opened atleast 14 hours a day. FF also got a plugin called: "Reload every X". Which is always on and configured 10 secs for anidb. So every 10 sec my browser refresh the page and download the content again (or just refresh what isn't cached). I am assuming i got to load 80Kb for the complete anidb site.
Why not just refresh manually when you need the info rather than sending some 4000 requests to anidb every day when it's not needed. It's a horrendous waste of resources on a service that is free without advertising, imagine if 1000 people did like you? That would be 100 requests per second which noone even watched.

I can understand using a "reload every" plugin when you want to watch a page constantly without hitting refresh manually but it should be used as an exception, not as a rule. If you had done this on some pages on anidb you would have been banned long ago.
hardjowikr

Post by hardjowikr »

Haha, yeah your right. I just turned it off. Sorry :oops:
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Thanks! :D
hardjowikr

Post by hardjowikr »

You're welcome PetriW.

So euhm...

i'll look for some more info of the RSS. I still think personalized feeds are a nice addition to AniDB.

O and if there is a spot left for a Javascript, CSS, PHP, XML, XSL, ASP, SQL or JAVA delevoper, i would be happy to apply :).
worf

Post by worf »

hardjowikr wrote:O and if there is a spot left for a Javascript, CSS, PHP, XML, XSL, ASP, SQL or JAVA delevoper, i would be happy to apply :).
you are welcome to show us your skill at http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413

:p
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

in itself this would be very easy to implement.
the only point which needs some tinkering is the caching. bc you have to expect that most rss/rdf clients will refresh the feeds _at least_ once every couple of minutes.

BYe!
EXP
hardjowikr

Post by hardjowikr »

Yes caching is possible. Then the next question would be: How do you want to build this caching thing?

This could be one of the possibilities:
Every user would have his own cache, because its a personalized feed.
Then when a user add something, the system check wich user has configured this to their feeds. The system will then refresh all these user caches.

Another approach:
No caching. The system generate the personalized feed for the user after a specific time only. If the user request their feed before this time, the system returns noting.
Or if caching is enabled, the system just return the cached page.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

(1) generating the rss feeds as static files for exactly those users who're using them would be the best solution. but the problem here is to know who is using the rdf/feeds.

(2) another way would be to use a non-static approach, where the user is either redirected to a his static rdf file (and the file is generated if stale or non existent) or where the rdf file is (3) generated on the fly out of some kind of user independend memory cache.

(2) is probable the simplest approach.

BYe!
EXP
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

this is now implemented, check your profile page.

BYe!
EXP
energist

Post by energist »

It doesn't work for me in Firefox 2.0. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I click feed URL in my profile. The page with my notifications appears, at the top of it I select "Subscribe to this feed using: Live Bookmarks" and click "Subscribe Now" button adding it to my bookmarks. But live bookmark just won't load giving error "Live Bookmark feed failed to load". But I'm able to access my notifications through that feed URL just fine.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Looking at the diff, there's no guarentee the feed is well-formed, let alone somewhat-valid-one-of-the-9-or-so-rss-versions. Can you PM me the link to your feed energist? I'll run some tests on it.

Rar