Remote User Stats [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

KnightAR

Remote User Stats [DONE]

Post by KnightAR »

Okay guys heres my idea. I'v always liked the idea of being able to slap your stats on a forum lets say, or a webpage and let people view your stats easly & automaticly. I'v recently created a image generator in PHP that lets me have the stats directly from an exported mylist. Even tho it only works with the lightgray template ATM, It's a simple script. Would it be possible to implant a image like the one I created (Example below), or make a XML generator for the stats, or both. It will include your username, userid (optional), animes, files, size, watched, ECT. Pretty much what !mystats says.

Example:

- KnightAR
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

i will not generate such images, it would put too much load on the server.
however i could implement some easy way to query for the stats data you need.

BYe!
EXP
kidan

Post by kidan »

hmm, if you'd do some heavy caching on the images (like render only once a day; otherwise send the prerendered one) then it would only generate some traffic but not much cpu- or db-load.
KnightAR

Post by KnightAR »

Some way to get the data sounds good. Cause then I could use a conjob to pick up the data once every cuple of hours, and re-generate the pic on my server. Sounds good to me. =)

- KnightAR
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

kidan wrote:hmm, if you'd do some heavy caching on the images (like render only once a day; otherwise send the prerendered one) then it would only generate some traffic but not much cpu- or db-load.
that's true, but it would take some time to generate all those images, even if it's done only once a day.
and the generated traffic could easily become quite a large amount. Just think about 100-1000 anidb users posting in a couple of heavily used forums.

BYe!
EXP
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I'll add a feature to AOM similar to eMules "online signature". :D
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

PetriW wrote:I'll add a feature to AOM similar to eMules "online signature". :D
:o)

BYe!
EXP
KnightAR

Post by KnightAR »

If it can be implated so I can get the data and generate the pic on my server, That would be good enough ya know?

- KnightAR
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

*/me agrees.*
I'm a Windows user too, but there are things I'd rather automate with a cronjob on the Linux box...
KnightAR

Post by KnightAR »

EXP, This will possibly be implicated right? It dosnt seem to be too hard to throw XML or a CSV Delemeted text onto a page that can use the same data as the mypage, and have PHP connect to it from my server connect and use it to create the pic once every 24 hours?
Elberet wrote:*/me agrees.*
I'm a Windows user too, but there are things I'd rather automate with a cronjob on the Linux box...
Yeah, I like using conjobs on my domain also.

- KnightAR
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

use it to create the pic once every 24 hours
But most script kiddies wouldn't and then it might become a load issue.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Note that the pic is created locally, by my (KnightAR's) computer rather then the AniDB server, it just needs the animes/eps/files/size summary info from the mypage in a form that is easier parseable, i.e. a csv blob or XML file - less then 200 bytes of text.

Forcing the usage of a client application is unreasonable in this case, and wouldn't there quite a lot of overhead, too? :roll:
KnightAR

Post by KnightAR »

Exactly. Even if someone doesn't want to script it. I'v already got a script partly made that can be used. It uses the catch image and the modified date to know the time it should update the stats, and regenerate the image.

- KnightAR
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Forcing the usage of a client application is unreasonable in this case, and wouldn't there quite a lot of overhead, too?
Bah, I need my selling points!