More than one fansubber group for files [tracked]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

rowaasr13

More than one fansubber group for files [tracked]

Post by rowaasr13 »

I'd like to have ability to specify more than one fansubber group for files. The way it is right now - adding "combined" group is just ugly and ruins statistics for groups.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Well, how many would you like? Two, three, four? ^_^

I guess once two groups for an anime are implemented there will be a case where there are three groups who did the sub, and then maybe four groups. So I guess we should get some opinions on this.

I think there are some entries to the "groups" database that have two groups in them. So either these are all counted as made by both groups or not (dunno about that) or not counted at all.

And honestly at the moment I don't think it is that important which group subbed the most files as long as they are mentioned (so I partly agree with you, no Anime Episode should have "multiple" as the group who released it). The problem can be resolved later, at the moment I guess there is so much on EXPs to do list...
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Of course file should be counted for both groups. And when I said "stats", I've also meant "subbed anime list" in my first post. Right now if I want to find all releases by some group I'll miss joint releases, unless I look in those "combo" stats.

As of number of groups - just let add two, or even leave one group as it is now on initial submit, but add buttons "Add/delete another group" in edit file mode, with possibility to mass add/delete, of course.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I think this isn`t even such a bad request at all. I get sick and tired of adding new groups just because some groups did a joint project and I have to add that joint project as a new group. It`s easier to just select a group and add a new group to it, so we can see which groups were working on it
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Skywalka wrote:Well, how many would you like? Two, three, four? ^_^

I guess once two groups for an anime are implemented there will be a case where there are three groups who did the sub, and then maybe four groups. So I guess we should get some opinions on this.
Simple: Do it once, but do it right. :)
Instead of putting the group ID into the file table, make a 1:n relation (after all, that's why it's called a relational database) for files : groups and assign groups to files much like genres are assigned to animes. It's a major update, tho, and the many, many dual-groups require manual updates which means countless hours of work for exp and helpers...
Skywalka wrote:I think there are some entries to the "groups" database that have two groups in them. So either these are all counted as made by both groups or not (dunno about that) or not counted at all.
Point dismissed, since these multi-groups would go away.
Skywalka wrote:The problem can be resolved later, at the moment I guess there is so much on EXPs to do list...
True that, but the longer he waits to implement this, the harder it will get to update all the countless of files that were attributed to groups that are in fact two or three...
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Elberet wrote:It's a major update, tho, and the many, many dual-groups require manual updates which means countless hours of work for exp and helpers...
Not that much, actually, since you can automagically convert all files with "joint group" tags to files with two/three/more different groups.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Hm, that might be true, but you'd still need to identify the double tags and find the correct groups they refer to.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

someday we'll have to take care of this, however i don't think it's something we have to give special priority.
i'd even rate the priority for this todolist item rather low.

BYe!
EXP
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

check past discussion here

You know, I did a resume of all the requests to know what is already asked! Use it dammit!! héhé[/url]
yidaki

Post by yidaki »

hmm, just wanted to say I second this request. :)
I was about to request it myself just now, but then I had the brilliant idea to search for an already existant thread about the same topic ;)
It shouldnt be much more difficult then to mark an anime as sequel-prequel, once you mark the file as a joint between the first group with more groups, the groups will it have automatically listed on their list of animes. :)
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

i also second that request...it's almost like with the resolution where you have to type in the resolution numbers instead of choosing them from the list :)