Genre Discussion [DONE/DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

arakell

Post by arakell »

it seems many people forgot now about what was mentioned before, that genres are used not only for describing anime, but also for advanced searching.
for example if i want to find some anime with mechs in it (which DID happen at some time), i want to be able to select "mecha" and find what i'm looking for, and NOT to select "sci-fi" and be forced to browse through tons of positions and read every description to find which ones are about mechs.
or to browse historical (that's another broad one) to find movies about samurai.
i guess an idea about using BOTH genres AND themes is really good.
SilverWordz
AniDB Staff

Post by SilverWordz »

Genres/subgenres, genres/themes, I'm not too picky, whatever you work out. I think either solution would ultimately be helpful.

Since the couple genres that I complained about were added, I'm mostly happy now. :P

I do want to add my vote for making genre additions and changes by CReq only. (Unless of course its a mod or owner edit.) As Ultima said, its frustrating to have to keep removing genres that have been added by users who aren't informed enough to know they're wrong. ;)

And since there's no logging of genre edits, there's no way to know which user needs to be "educated". :twisted:
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

arakell wrote:for example if i want to find some anime with mechs in it (which DID happen at some time), i want to be able to select "mecha" and find what i'm looking for, and NOT to select "sci-fi" and be forced to browse through tons of positions and read every description to find which ones are about mechs.
Well, don`t forget that anime has a different set of genres than, for instance, hollywood movies. Anime has genres like Mecha and Samurai, which are almost as important to anime as the genres Action or Comedy are for a movie.
The point is that we should be able to determine which ones are the genres and which ones the themes. As long as we cannot distinguish them from each other, then we`ll end up struggling too much with putting them in one, while 2 days later we`re already moving it to the other section, only to realize at the end of the week that it has to get back again.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

SilverWordz wrote:And since there's no logging of genre edits, there's no way to know which user needs to be "educated". :twisted:
no logging?
of course there is, however that information is not available through the webinterface atm.

BYe!
EXP
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Gambit wrote:Or will we come up with a seperate line for 'themes' which are seperated from genres?
That's how I'd have imagined it. Basically the same structure and code as for genres, just with a different name and different contents.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

IMHO...

Genres are genres. The generic kind, too. Sci-Fi, Romance, Adventure, Action, Adult, Hentai and so forth. Any information that goes beyond that can be included in the description, and the person creating the description can be as verbose as necessary to describe the theme of the anime. Having a separate themes field, possibly with a fixed structured syntax, is possible but certainly not required, if the descriptions are well written. My opinion about the suggestions regarding themes is indifferent, but as far as genres are concerned...

Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

[off-topic]
Elberet: Can`t you just make an online list of smileys you have around? I keep seeing good ones everytime I look at your posts :P
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

You already have http://dongato.dyndns.org/html/smilies.htm but those are AR forum style only...
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I know those, DG, I meant the ones from Elberet ...
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

There are actually only two "special" smileys I use:
The ^_^; smiley: Image and
The "rant" smiley: Image
I've seen the rant-smiley in the ARC forum being used by someone else, and googled for it just for this particular post. :P
Wlah
AniDB Staff

Post by Wlah »

I myself would prefer
Main Genre(s)
Sub Genres

Main genres being the main plot of the story / main "purpose" (comedy is to get us to laugh, drama is to get us to cry or just look closely.. but NOT laugh).
take Ranma ½
I'd put it like this:
Main genre - Comedy
Subgenres - martial arts, romance, ecchi, school, adventure, drama etc

That clearly states that ranma is mainly a series made to make you laugh. and all the subgenres describe what you can expect of the different happenings in the series.

This is all, of course, just IMO though. :)

(MUhahhaah! fear my forum necromancy!!! :twisted: )
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Fear me striking back :P

Combining it with themes (and I won't give up on that easily), there should be a flag to indicate whether a genre is a main genre or not, which would simply result in i this genre being shown first and bold.

So, for Ranma (which I didn't really watch), it could be:
Genres: Comedy, Adventure, Drama, Ecchi, Romance
Themes: Gender Swapping, Martial Arts, School, (...)
Wlah
AniDB Staff

Post by Wlah »

well my argument for splitting them would be to change how to search for genres.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

They'd still be marked as "main genres", so searching for only those would still be possible (and not much more difficult to implement).
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

/me wonders if this conversation gets anywhere at all

/me just noticed that EXP has finally removed the DivX() VBR choices which was requested aeons ago

my point is... if we can come to an agreement about this fast, then maybe we'll see it being implemented in the next year... just maybe :P