there is only md5 sums? [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

LStranger

there is only md5 sums? [DENIED]

Post by LStranger »

Spectre-Anime does not provide SFV sums but md5 instead, they say they will never provide SFV. But AniDB does not allow add a record with flag "crc matches official source" but without CRC32 sum. So it forces me make unofficial sum but set flag as it is official. Is it good or not? I think it isn't good.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Personally, if the md5 sum was correct then I would simply generate the crc sum too and say crc is correct. 8O
I mean, if the md5 is correct the chance that the crc is wrong would be like REALLY small. ;)
LStranger

Post by LStranger »

I meant the phrase "crc matches official source" isn't correct since no official CRC32 sum in that case. :)
So I propose to allow set "crc matches official source" flag if there is one of crc32 or md5 checksum instead of crc32 forcing. ;)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

No, as the CRC number is included in the ed2k link for verified files we can't have either crc32 or md5, we need the crc32 imho. (And I sure don't want the md5 in my links while the crc32 is very neat.)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

if your file matches the official md5 sum i see no problem in creating an "inofficial" crc sum and declaring it "matches official crc" as there is no official crc and the main point is to mark a file as valid after all.
so having checked it against the official md5 value is already all which is needed to verify a file.
however as PetriW pointed out already we still need the crc value.

BYe!
EXP
shaydwyrm

Post by shaydwyrm »

Maybe we should change the text then from "crc matches official source" to something like "hash matches official source"?
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

leave it CRC since most of the groups release crc info