Shadowfiles - having multiple eps in one file [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

DonGato

Shadowfiles - having multiple eps in one file [DONE]

Post by DonGato »

*edit* old title: [EDIT]Animatrix ID:517 */edit*

http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... me&aid=517

This anime has a file with all 9 episodes. Having this file should count as viewing all the series. Now exp will hate me for asking this. :P
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

You want the 3 specials moved to become regular episodes?

Post by Guest »

No, I mean that this series was released in a single DVD with all the episodes included, and only 3 were released on the web, but I think we have a problem with other series as well and is already being discussed in another thread.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

i guess this rather belongs into the feature request forum,
and yes i hate you for that }:o)
so don't expect to see it anytime soon :P

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

You can have a checkbox for each episode and when you add a file you can check the ones contained in it, or you can use an input box with normal expressions (1,2,3 or 1-3) for users to choose freely. ;)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

That checkbox thingy doesn't sufficiently solve the problem of single episodes being split into multiple files, tho. :P
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

that's why I suggested ponderation...
just input (in the files) how many episodes is included ...

this way 2 means there is 2 episode in the file and 1/3 means the episode is split in 3 files (each having the 1/3 ponderation)...

it's just a simple field added to each file! ;)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Nah, it doesn't work out in the end.

A movie is supposed to have one episode.
Group A releases the movie split into 3 SVCDs, group B releases the same movie as 2 VCDs.
You'll end up with five files. Files 1-3 contain a third episode each, files 4 and 5 a half. If a user has watched files 1, 2 and 4, he has seen 116,666% of the movie. That's ugly, hard to display, and not even true since there's a whole third he has never seen (the part contained in files 3 and 5).

Additionally, it's hard to find out which files I need to download in order to get the whole movie once. Since the DB doesn't know of a way to assign files belonging to the same episode to sub-episodes, I would get a list of all five files, sorted by their file size. Finding the three files that go into the SVCD release means I have to check the description for each file. A workaround could be to sort the list by the release group - but then what if a group releases the movie twice? Same old problem. Another workaround is to add more episodes to sort the different file packs or release types - but then nobody will ever be able to mark the movie as watched without adding at least one file of the other fake episodes.

Besides, fractions are hard to implement correctly, due to rounding errors and such. In the end, it'd have to be two fields added to the database: a number and a flag whether the number is a multiplicator or divisior. (Second thought: n > 0 => n is a multiplicator, n < 0 => abs(n) is a divisior. But that's ugly to the power of 10.)

Subfiles or Stealth Files (same thing, different name) solve all these problems. In the movie example, you would see one episode containing a number of files. Each file represents the first of a series of files. All other files belonging to that particular series are listed in a subgroup (indented, grouped below the parent file). In other words, the DB would look like this:

Episode 1
- File 6, (group, 3 parts)
- - File 1, ed2k link
- - File 2, ed2k link
- - File 3, ed2k link
- File 7, (group, 2 parts)
- - File 4, ed2k link
- - File 5, ed2k link

Of course I can only judge this according to my own coding habits, but in my "normal" environment, these subgroups would not be hard to implement and the database change would be minimal: a single field to assign a file to a parent (a 1:1 relationship) does the trick. Building the list of files however requires an extra query for each group that is encountered, but the number of split episodes seems to be quite low anyways.

Next, the other way around: What happens if a file contains more then one EP? Simple. The exact same thing as above is done, with the exception that the stealth file's DB entry references an episode that's different then the parent's. Now the DB looks like this:

Episode 1
- File 1, ed2k link
Episode 2
- File 2, (stealth, see: "File 1")

For such super-files (note: super-files is simply the reversal of sub-files), it's trivial to replace the ed2k link icon with a link to the parent file.

Lastly, the problems with the mylist. For stealth files the solution is simple: When the parent is added, query for all stealth files related to that parent and add them as well. The episode-count fixes itself. For groups, add the group parent and all subfiles as well. Subfiles are excluded when deciding whether the anime has been watched or not, so only the group parent's watched flag counts: 1 anime, 1 episode, 1 group owner, 0 problems. :)
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

I guess it solves everything... just needs an easy way of implementing it ;)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Yes, the 'stealth' way seems to be a good solution and more understandable than the others.
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

I like a "stealth" idea too.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

w00t! ;)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

*note to self, there's a whole bunch of new ppl to hate now* }:o)

well,

so the idea would be the following:
(note ghost files became folders/symlinks)

there are 3 types of entries in the file table, the old ones (files), folders and symlinks.
a folder can be added for an episode like an episode for an anime. it has nothing but a title.
a file can either be added to an episode or to a folder. also the filetype for files will be shown directly in the table, when a file is added as part of a folder it will also be able to add a number (like an epno but for files)
so you could i.e. add one episode for a movie and add 3 folders below it for the 3 different available versions where in each folder file entries for files, subs and nfos are placed and numbered. i.e.

Ep 1:
-- folder: A-H 2CD Version
---- xxxx 00 NFO [A-H] ...
---- xxxx 01 AVI [A-H] ...
---- xxxx 01 SUB [A-H] ...
---- xxxx 02 AVI [A-H] ...
---- xxxx 02 SUB [A-H] ...
(^standard file entries layout with additional type and number)
-- folder: A-Kraze 1CD Version
---- xxxx 00 NFO [A-H] ...
---- xxxx 01 MOV [A-H] ...
---- xxxx 01 SUB [A-H] ...
-- xxxx OGM [zx] ...
(^ 1cd version which is not part of a folder)

the next type would be symlinks which can be added to an episode and link to an existing file entry. they contain only their own id, the anime/ep id and the fid of the linked file.
they could be added via checkbox+textbox on the file edit page, i.e.
[x] file spawns multiple eps
spawned eps: [ 1,2,3 ]
which would create symlinks on ep2 and ep3 (if the current file is added for ep1)

this would allow us to:
- have only one ep/part for movies instead of the current way of having one ep per fileversion
- clearly show that external subs are part of a file
- have correct eps seen/total eps stats for animes which released two or more eps within one file

concerning the mylist/watched status there is a problem though, does a folder only count as (watched) file in mylist if all of it's subfiles are part of the mylist (and watched)? Or is one file sufficient? Or do we _need_ (read do we die without) a way to mark files of a folder as required/optional?

BYe!
EXP
Iceman[grrrr]

Post by Iceman[grrrr] »

Great way to figure all of this!

I think there should be a flag on each files into a folder telling if the file is mandatory to state that you have/seen this episode.

Of course I don't think we really need that and we could live without it, just having 1 file of a folder could make this episode on the list/seen.

... It will be a big job to transfer all the current eps to the future model ... If you need help I could help.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

A media file like AVI/MPG/OGM/etc should be mandatory, I think.