Shadowfiles - having multiple eps in one file [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Yosh! Let's get technical! :P

exp, your description pretty much covery everything I said earlier, except that there's no need for a special folder filetype. You can get by with adding only a single new field: the parent's file id. If you read the files from the DB into a hash keyed by fid and another hash keyed by parent, you can do the group assignments in memory with only a single query to get all files that belong to the episode to display: Containers are files without a size, subfiles are files with a parent that is in the same episode and symlinks are files with a parent that is not in the same episode. Since these conditions ("(not) in the same episode") would require too many queries with obfuscated joins, i would think that checking for these in Perl saves a lot of precious CPU time.

Also, the creation of symlinks can theoretically be left to the users: After all, they are just additional entries in the files table with their parent field set to a meaningful value.
exp wrote:concerning the mylist/watched status there is a problem though, does a folder only count as (watched) file in mylist if all of it's subfiles are part of the mylist (and watched)? Or is one file sufficient? Or do we _need_ (read do we die without) a way to mark files of a folder as required/optional?
You can leave that to the users, too. Since groups are really only files without a size of their own, the group/container/folder itself can have a watched flag. Naturally, this flag would override the contained files' flags. In other words: Just ignore the files' watched status and let users mark the container as watched/unwatched. Afterall, that's the most logic thing to do since watching one of the files in a group/container/folder is equal to watching a fraction of an episode...
exp wrote:*note to self, there's a whole bunch of new ppl to hate now*
Thanks. 8)
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

exp wrote:*note to self, there's a whole bunch of new ppl to hate now* }:o)
Hey! I'm not new... you should hate me since long ago. :D
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

He's probably already saving money so he can pay Noir to get rid of you... :P
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Elberet wrote:He's probably already saving money so he can pay Noir to get rid of you... :P
yeah :o)
to get rid of all of you though :P

btw. renamed and moved this topic.

BYe!
EXP
ninjamask

Post by ninjamask »

so the renaming and moving of this topic did it i see... u got rid of em easily ><
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I'm still alive, but it seems Noir thought they should have to kill exp so don't expect this anityme soon. :D :P
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

This topic reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Apu and Homer travel to India for Apu to ask the great leader of the big quick-e-mart for advice.

They sit in the plane flying east.

Home: "Are we in India yet?"
Apu: "No"
Apu: "Wait a minute...."
(plane flies further east"
Apu: "..... now we are"

:-)

Hey EXP. Are we in India yet?
egg

Post by egg »

Added to the tracker.
suppy

Post by suppy »

added to the wiki

I've also added some extra thoughts of my own on the Talk Page. Input would be appreciated.
cielchoco

Post by cielchoco »

I'm glad this has been brought up. It's been bugging the heck out of me, great idea! I hope to see it implented in the near future :D
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

...it has been. Why did you drag this thread up just after exp went ahead and implemented it? (Well, sort of; it's a very expish implementation.)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

pelican wrote:(Well, sort of; it's a very expish implementation.)
hrhr, now did you expect anything else? }:o)

BYe!
EXP