crc/sfv [closed]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Jarudin

crc/sfv [closed]

Post by Jarudin »

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and I don't think this has been implemented. Usually when you download anime there is no .sfv file available, while this isn't a huge problem for large series it can become tedious.

Since AniDB keeps track of CRC checksums why not make a feature that 'generates' an .sfv file (or more abstractly, a list of <episode, crc> pairs) for a series for a specific fansub group?

There are several issues:
1) what about episode filenames?
2) what about v2, v3 etc. ?

My solutions:
1) I'm not sure what AniDB does with filenames but I've seen hideously long filenames where just about everything (except for the ed2k hashes) was included. This doesn't seem like a good option since we really only want the checksums, not the entire AniDB database.
I think something along the lines of serie - ep# crc would be more appropriate.
2) Include all of them always, this is easier, include version (if higher than 1) after ep#.

Also, I noticed AniDB uses low-case characters as hexadecimal characters in checksums. Why?

I'm guessing this wouldn't be hard to implement. Comments, ideas, suggestions?

--Jarudin--
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Personally I see it as a regressive idea for people too dumb to use search, or better, an AniDB client that solves all the open issues with sfv like the weakness of crc32, the dependance on filenames, the lack of well defined encoding for filenames, the ability for the user to choose their own filenames, etc etc.

Rar
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

IIRC an sfv file won't help you at all if your local filenames differ in any way from the file names in the sfv file, right?
That would make the entire thing pretty pointless... using an anidb client is definitely the better choice there.

BYe!
EXP