Expand character limit in message system? Preview? [tracked]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

requiem

Expand character limit in message system? Preview? [tracked]

Post by requiem »

Not entirely sure if this has been complained about before, but I lost about 4 pages of material with a message I tried to send out earlier. "Body text too long" and even in Firefox it undid all of my edits.

If it is too difficult to expand the character limit on the message system, it would be appreciated if there would be a warning explaining the character limit and the consequences of the going beyond it. If it is possible to expand the character limit, it would be nice to possibly make it at least 500 characters longer.

Furthermore, a preview or possibly even text edits (bold, italics, etc.) would make the messaging system a little more presentable.
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

well, the format thing has been asked here

size limit of messages probably has to do with the udp interface and i agree with that, though it could be easy to add a char counter to the msg interface, exp just has to do it :P
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

WTF? IIRC the current limit for the message body is 5000 chars, and you actually managed to exceed that? x_X

Seriously, either there is some check I am forgetting right now, which is effectively enforcing a lower number or you're just plain sick :P
I don't think we need messages with more than 5k content :P

about the char counter and formating toolbars, I am willing to add those, just give me stuff i can copy&paste into the code and make sure deridiot kicks me into adding it :P

BYe!
EXP

PS: your messages will be truncated to ~1400chars when send over the UDP API.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

yeah tested and can confirm it's 5000 (well not acctually 5000 useable character, but 4900 at least)