Add an Original Air Time field to series entries [tracked]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Mr. Average

Add an Original Air Time field to series entries [tracked]

Post by Mr. Average »

Some further classification of anime series may be done by the original air time in Japan.

This might give a good indication as to the intended audience, "level of uniqueness", or off-beat-ishness, so to speak.

For example, Mushishi was aired at 27:45 (That's 03:45AM) on Saturdays. The time might indicate an anime very different in nature from something categorised as Fantasy/Drama which is aired on "Prime-Time".

As air times tend to change among the different networks, it might be wise to consider a Time Slot field instead (Morning Weeksdays, Prime-Time, Insomniacs Only, etc.), as the time slot tends to remain the same.

Cheers
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

this could easily be added to the category system.
and might actually be nice to know too :o)

BYe!
EXP
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

During the kicking-exp-to fix-dates and ongoing post-midnight problems, there's been suggestion to actually make the ep airing field datetimes (there are several good resources for these). However that'd mean him having to like, read the postgresql docs or something.

However, the basic assumption of Mr Average here is mistaken. No systematic conclusions can be drawn from the time an anime airs - lots of anime is post-midnight, just because that's how the scheduals works - and on subscription and ppv, daytime can be anything too. If a broad overview is what people want, the audience category is what they need to look at.

/me imagines exp's "air time" category branch:
    • 15:15
    • 15:30
    • 15:45
    • 16:15
/me cries

Rar
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

and lets not forget that sat stations pretty much like to air anime in the midday hours which other stations air at midnight and later.

example:
http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/663/time
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Rar wrote:During the kicking-exp-to fix-dates and ongoing post-midnight problems, there's been suggestion to actually make the ep airing field datetimes (there are several good resources for these). However that'd mean him having to like, read the postgresql docs or something.
seems like a pretty bad idea, after all the pilot/first ep might well be in a different timeslot. if we'd really want that info in such a detailed way, a second field for the time would be better.
and about the postgres part, the current way I handle dates allows for times to be included already, no need to read docs :P
Rar wrote:/me imagines exp's "air time" category branch:
    • 15:15
    • 15:30
    • 15:45
    • 16:15
/me cries
hrhr, of course not :P
would be more like morning,midday,evening,night or something.

BYe!
EXP