New Language/Sub system for anidb - Discussion [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

exp
Site Admin

New Language/Sub system for anidb - Discussion [DONE]

Post by exp »

related to: http://tracker.anidb.info/view.php?id=242

well, i might be looking into this soon. at least in a first version of it.

my current idea is as follows and I would like to get some feedback before I start with it.

- allow a free number of audio stream and subtitle entries per file
- for each audio stream store:
* language (dropdown)
* codec (dropdown)
* bitrate
* type (mono, stereo, 5.1, ...)
* quality (dropdown)
* comment
- for each subtitle entry store:
* language (dropdown)
* type (hardsub, internal softsub, external softsub)
* flags (karaoke subs, additional explanations, ...)
* quality (dropdown)
* comment
* related files (dropdown to select files with size<X MB from the same ep) (what would be the limit here? two files? or are there subs with more files?)

comments?

BYe!
EXP
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Think subtitles are 2 files at most but why limit it?

Would the language dropdown be linked to one list of languages or two lists like it is today?
worf

Re: New Language/Sub system for anidb - Discussion

Post by worf »

exp wrote:- for each audio stream store:
* language (dropdown)
an additional array of checkboxes for "type" would be nice. e.g. "commentary", ... maybe even one for "fandub" ...
exp wrote:- for each subtitle entry store:
* type (hardsub, internal softsub, external softsub)
don't forget "dubsubbed"
* flags (karaoke subs, additional explanations, ...)
don't forget "hearing impaired"
* related files (dropdown to select files with size<X MB from the same ep) (what would be the limit here? two files? or are there subs with more files?)
How exactly is that meant to look like? And yeah, i guess subtitles are at max two files. .sub+.idx
Last edited by worf on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I would take out the quality for audio streams. Most of the times the quality is related to the encoding and it suck for the release. And I would add audio glitches as an anime comment instead as it is more prominent and easy to reach.

Quality about subs might trigger some bashing/non useful opinions. And people have different opinions on quality, even fansub translators. I would take out this at well.

You can have more than one source of external subs for a RAW so setting file association limits seems restricting. Files shouldn't be bigger than say 10Mb. I never saw one bigger (vobsub files I mean). :/

Rest seems ok.
worf

Post by worf »

DonGato wrote:I would take out the quality for audio streams.
http://tracker.anidb.info/view.php?id=273
DonGato wrote:Quality about subs might trigger some bashing/non useful opinions. And people have different opinions on quality, even fansub translators. I would take out this at well.
Agreed. Same goes for the comment field i guess.

_One_ comment field for the whole file should be enough imho.[/b]
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I still think that audio quality isn't something that much needed. Unless they fucked up the encoding or there is a minor glitch that might be better handled in file comments.

For the record, I would remove the file(video) quality stars. It never helped me and lots of times is wrong.

I agree one comment per file is enough and easier for the user (not to say the ones maintaining the DB). More isn't always better. ;)
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

I've suggested a more basic version of it here.

As already said, I'd refrain from adding quality tags to audio/subs, I'd also remove the overall quality rating, but then ppl wouldn't know of files with really bad quality.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Yeah they would, nwa, because the group name will still be E-D.

Rar
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Really bad quality? How is that portrayed now?
In any case I would keep such data in the comments of the file or the group.
Amour

Post by Amour »

DonGato wrote:I would take out the quality for audio streams.
I agree. I agree. I fully agree!
If one file out of a million has both an extremely bad audio with a great video, then this could be written in the comment. The other 999.999 files will have about the same audio quality as the video quality. So the overall file quality is enough: you don't need to have two fields for the same thing.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well, the point about the number of subs per video file is an issue.
if I can limit it to a fixed number, let's say 2, then i can put the fields into the same table and the webinterface will become easier.
If i need to support a dynamic number of sub files then things become more complicated, still doable, but it's just more work and more overhead as it would require one more table.

the question is also how we would handle cases where there are multiple subs for one file. i could just allow ppl to add multiple entries for the same language. so it would be possible to add two entries for english subtitles. then each one could point to the corresponding subs (making a restriction to 2 files each possible again).
and this might also be a point where having the possibility to attach a quality rating to the entries better.
i see your point @ dropping comment fields.
but i just thought i'd add them for all the unforseen cases which might turn up later. like we're using the file comments for a lot of unsupported stuff right now.
so what is the final thought on comment fields, drop them to make things simpler, or keep them in order to provide some way of working around future requirements and quirks?

BYe!
EXP
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Shadow files.

Rar
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

exp wrote:well, the point about the number of subs per video file is an issue.
if I can limit it to a fixed number, let's say 2, then i can put the fields into the same table and the webinterface will become easier.
If i need to support a dynamic number of sub files then things become more complicated, still doable, but it's just more work and more overhead as it would require one more table.
In any case some subs won't be linked, or we won't be able to have those subs in the db? What I want to avoid is the issue of having only 1 sub allowed for a given file.

I think we all agree we should drop redundant or prone to be wrongly used data. So no comments and nor quality ratings for subs/dubs.

Can we have some data about max number of sub files we have now in DB and which entry it is? We can reach a better solution by analyzing real data. ;)
worf

Post by worf »

there are currently somewhere around 3262 external subtitle files in the DB. and i know that there are a couple of raw video files with 3 (a few with 4 or 5 maybe) different external subtitle files.
and the other way around too. a lot of external subtitle files can be used with 1-3 or even more different raw files ...
not to mention that we have external subtitle batches with upto a few dozen subtitle files inside.

when it comes to subtitle streams within the actual video file .. i guess this file has one of the highest subtitle stream count: http://anidb.info/f16413 - 15 streams
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

to be exact atm we got 3544 subtilefiles in the db at this point that count includes rar, ace and zip files which might not be subs at all though (smaller than 20mb)
anyway that count shouldn't completely off