[IRC] substring matching for commands other than !anime

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

pelican
AniDB Staff

[IRC] substring matching for commands other than !anime

Post by pelican »

I'm going to be making some changes to the parser and database queries that Chii[AR] makes in the near future, and I was was wondering whether I should implement substring matching for commands like !vote and !mylist (still preferring better matches, such as whole title matches and only executing the command if there aren't multiple matching anime)

People attempt to do this quite frequently and it would clearly be useful, but there is also the potential for some nasty mistakes, so I'd like some opinions before writing code which might have to be withdrawn anyway.

Post by Guest »

that would be handy yes..
as long it doesnt give more then 1 anime it should work very nice :D
suppy

Post by suppy »

I don't think I'd trust it - I use !anime and/or !stitle to find what titles I can use, I'm going to continue doing that in the future too, but as long as it matches whole titles first, I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

if we see we made a mistake, we can usually also see what it was like before, and thus revert ..... speaking of which, maybe an !undo command would be welcome? ... it keeps track of your latest command, and if that command made a change in the db, it sets it back to how it was before.... though I suppose making such a command for things that changes many things in th db (like upto and all) would be quite difficult? - anyway, it was just a suggestion and if you implemented it I'd be all for substring matching on commands other than !anime
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

!undo is not going to happen. Ever, in all likelihood.