AniDB Staff

fancy episodenumbers [tracked]

Post by Der Idiot »

so what is a "fancy episodenumber"?
well many series have fancy ways to say "episode xx"
examples:
gundam seed, argento soma use: Phase xx
yua uses file xx
(there are tons more, but those are the ones that come to my mind right now)

obviously the episodenumber thingy is NOT part of the eptitle, but just a fancy way to say "episode xx" i propose a seperate field for those "episodenumbertitles"

in case a episodenumbertitle is set it replaces the episodenumber. this could be done on clientside for sure via javascript. so that means only the new field to the episodetable and a inputfield to the add/edit epiusodedialog needs to get added. not horrible difficult imho.

furthermore i would set the "episodenumbertitles" field as default and neccessary field instead of english title. this also would allow to get rid of the redundant episodenumbers for movies and episodespecials. episodenumbers have only a meaning for an actual order which is not really present for most specials.

one could set the "episodenumbertitles" for specials to "DVD special xx", "Omake xx" "fontpack" "Joint Episodes" and stuff. dvd special eps which are meant to be episode (for example) 11.5 (happy lesson tv) could get properly tagged.
Last edited by Der Idiot on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I had a plan, regarding this. Problem is under the current scheme you'd need three new fields, as we split titles into title/transcription/translation.

Rar
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Rar wrote:I had a plan, regarding this. Problem is under the current scheme you'd need three new fields, as we split titles into title/transcription/translation.

Rar
right you are. forgot the japanese fields ^^;;
Elias

Post by Elias »

Maybe instead of adding additional fields define some metatags for using in episode names to enclose such fancy names like:
<f>Episode 1</f>
- 1st episode of Angelium
<f>Volume 1</f>
- 1st episode of AIKa:
<f>Trial 1: </f>Beautiful Agent
- 5th episode of Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (this anime has episodes with fancy names AND sometimes two subepisodes in one episode):
Episode Title (English) : <f>ACT 5.0 </f>Days of Labyrinth / <f>ACT 5.5 </f>His Ambition
Episode Title (Romaji) : <f>ACT 5.0 </f>Hibi no meikyuu / <f>ACT 5.5 </f>Kare no yabou
Episode Title (Kanji) : <f>ACT 5.0 </f>日々の迷宮 / <f>ACT 5.5 </f>彼の野望

And when displaying those fancy fields can be removed (it can be profile setting) also can have different style than main part of title.

Of course we can use more than this one tag and not only for episode titles: there are anime titles with added release year or type of title which are not part of real title, but must be added to uniqueness, like:
A.D. Police <t>TV</t>
Kyuuketsuki Miyu <t>(TV)</t>
Kyuuketsuki Miyu <t>(OVA)</t>

AA! Megami-sama <y>(2005)</y>
Area 88 <y>(2004)</y>

Another possible use of tags:
Canvas <s>~Motif of Sepia~</s>
Canvas 2 <s>~Niji Iro no Sketch~</s>
Dark Shell <s>- Ori no Naka no Namameki -</s>
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

My plan involves markup... but is a bit more involved than that. There'd be no more 'kanji' and 'romaji' fields, for starts. Anyway EXP is still HOLI-DAY, so nothing for the moment.

Rar
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Well, imo, 'fancy titles' are part of the episode title, sometimes they're all there is for an episode title, I mean, "Episode xx" isn't the episode title either, but they're added for episode titles that don't have an actual title like KGNE or when the person who added the episode didn't know the title. So if there's only "Phase 1" in the ep title, then you'd add that instead of writing "Episode 1", it can be debatable whether to add it or not when there's a longer title provided as well, but if it's given, it's part of the title.
Of course, I agree, that when we got episode numbers, then repeating the number with "Phase xx" is silly. So it's either that or the other with the current system and uh.. yeah.. go ahead and think up a 1337 šüštem.