Comprende!? [tracked]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Klutz

Comprende!? [tracked]

Post by Klutz »

Today I was as quickly watching the list of new reviews. This one user had posted ALOT of reviews within a few days so I was curious as to whether these reviews were very good at all. This is actually besides the point because what was really bothering me was that these reviews were in SPANISH. This is not the first guy to have written in a foreign language, and I ask why?! AniDB is an international site with people from around the world visiting it every day. It is just silly to post in a language that only a fraction of the people know. These people should have their posts removed, don't you agree?
Sneak

Post by Sneak »

Let me present you with a list of the biggest languages in the world:

1. Mandarin 885 million speakers
2. Spanish 332 million speakers
3. English 322 million speakers
4. Bengali 189 million speakers
5. Hindi 182 million speakers
6. Portuguese 170 million speakers
6. Russian 170 million speakers
8. Japanese 125 million speakers
9. German 98 million speakers
10. Wu 77 million speakers

Now, I do understand that you're not referring to peoples native language, but to the fact that a lot of people can read X, Y and english.

Since I understand english a lot better than any other language on the list, I agree with you, but there are still people who don't.

Maybe a language tag on the reviews would be the solution?
Andemon

Post by Andemon »

Bah.
If the 'tards can't write the review in English, then they shouldn't write one at all. AniDB is english. Cope, I say. -_-
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

They are being klutz...

Had to do it. :P

Anyway, talking seriously, I think exp should put some text in the main page stating the site is to be used in English alone.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

actually i would prefer it if we could set languageflags for content and it just gets ignored if it's != set prefered language.

but thats somewhere very down on the todo list and maybe not even possible with the current db. might be rewrite stuff.
kidan

Post by kidan »

Could be added to the user level sketch: reviewmod for a particular language (one it might be implemented).
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I believe it once was a policy to allow only English reviews. I should check that with EXP someday...
suppy

Post by suppy »

IMO having a language flag would be a Good Thing (TM).