notifying of recently finished anime (subbing done [tracked]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Sneak

notifying of recently finished anime (subbing done [tracked]

Post by Sneak »

Hello!

First I sincerely hope this hasn't been talked about before. I did try searching the board.

Now:

It would be very neat to have some way of finding out which anime series were recently completely fansubbed. Either by applying for some sort of notification, or by going to some certain page. The ideal would be able to filter by a language.

I personally belive the page implementation would be best. Something like the "latest additions" list, only "latest finished anime" instead.

Going to this page would list the 20/50/100/200 latest series/ovas/movies to have all their eps subbed in said language.

Not that AniDB doesn't rock as it is, but there's always room for improvements, right?

Keep up the great work!
TechNiko

Post by TechNiko »

Something I'd definitely use at least a few times a week.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

lots of peoples would but is it possible to impletement it without too much pain i wonder
Sneak

Post by Sneak »

Not much of an expert, but it shouldn't be too hard.

A simple query to see wether all eps have subs whenever a new ep is added. If true, do whatever.

Still, it does require a bit of code, and I guess it's always more or less dangerous to add new features. Still, would be neat :)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Implementing this for completly-english-subbed only would be fairly easy.
However, if it is supposed to work for any language I don't see how to do it without a lot of additional overhead.
The important part is how to cache the information on compete subs efficently.

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

We should start moving to "AniDB, the English based Anime DataBase". :P
I don't see a problem with having most features available for the main supported language...
Sneak

Post by Sneak »

Implementing this as english-only would be fine.

As for caching the information, it must be done already somewhere, since AniDB shows wether series are completed or not by any group.

Here's what I'd do:
When submitting a new file (episode):
1. Check if this is the last episode (ep = epcount)
2. Check if any other group has state "completede" for this anime (with an english sub)
3. If 1:true and 2:false, add the following to some datastructure (XML perhaps?): AniDB id, date, group.

That XML could either be parsed by one of your pages, or if you want to go "cool", make it a valid RSS/Atom-feed with the AniDB page as the content link. I'd love to stick a feed into my reader and automatically be informed about this. Might generate too much traffic though?

Entries could be kept for a week or a month, or forever, depending on the datatype.

Keep up the good work!
Mazero

Post by Mazero »

I would love this, as I rarely follow a series. I want to watch the whole thing directly :)
MikeDaSpike

Post by MikeDaSpike »

Just to point out that it should be as hard as making it english only as it would be with several languages, the difference in code isnt that much...probably.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

MikeDaSpike wrote:Just to point out that it should be as hard as making it english only as it would be with several languages, the difference in code isnt that much...probably.
thanks for pointing that out :P
and you're actually right, code wise it's no big difference, but looking at the amount of additional data needed to implement this it is.
as I said before, the main issue is efficent caching.
the space needed grows with the number of languages supported (only linearly though :P)

BYe!
EXP
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

supporting english would be enough for 99% of the needs so you can forget about the rest for now. should help caching a lot