Support for browsers w/o JavaScript or JS disabled [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

hhaamu wrote:<a href="animedb.pl?show=pop&pop=notify" onclick="javascript:window.open('animedb.pl?show=pop&pop=notify','Notification311','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,width=200,height=150');" class="nav">3 notify(s)</a>
IIRC there is a browser which can't handle that, either firefox or opera.

BYe!
EXP
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

fahrenheit wrote:hmm, exp your html is pumped up from perl right?
if so i guess you could check if js is enabled for a certain user and if not rewrite a page without the js bits, simply when there is no js you open a popup with a _blank target, etc.
if it's not pumped up from perl, you have to staticly rewrite the html.. and that would be a pain..
that would of course work, but it's not a very elegant solution as it would introduce quite some new if statments into the code. And it would also require a profile option to switch js on/off. Somekind of code which gracefully falls back to non-js when no js is available would be nicer IMHO. So I'd rather not do that.

BYe!
EXP
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

I don't want the js popups even when they are available; I despise popups and disable them completely in fx, using only tabs.

What is wrong with just using target="_blank" (or whatever it was)? Do people really need whatever fancy styling you give the popup window?
windmage

Post by windmage »

pelican has a really good point.. :)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Get a real browser ;) like Opera where you can make those "styled" popups looks just like other windows.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

I make them look like tabs, which is even better. :P But fake links can't be opened in a new tab the normal way because that bypasses the onclick action, so I'm forced to memorise which links are js fake links in order to navigate anidb.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

PetriW wrote:Get a real browser ;) like Opera
Ohhh... that's a "real" browser? :roll:
I'm glad I use a "good" browser instead! :)

Not only that popups are just stupid but that the profile option in AniDB never worked well and even while disabled I keep getting them (there is a tracker entry for this exp never managed to close).
egg

Post by egg »

pelican wrote:I make them look like tabs, which is even better. :P But fake links can't be opened in a new tab the normal way because that bypasses the onclick action, so I'm forced to memorise which links are js fake links in order to navigate anidb.
I have all of mine open in new tabs, and I don't have that problem... I use Firefox with Tab Mix (I know it is not one of the more popular tab extensions, but it works the way I want.

BTW, I also used to do the same thing with Maxthon with no trouble.

I agree, though, that pop-ups should be profile specific. I can manually open things in new tabs when I want, I don't need the system to do it for me.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

egg wrote:
pelican wrote:I make them look like tabs, which is even better. :P But fake links can't be opened in a new tab the normal way because that bypasses the onclick action, so I'm forced to memorise which links are js fake links in order to navigate anidb.
I have all of mine open in new tabs, and I don't have that problem... I use Firefox with Tab Mix
(As it happens, that is exactly the same tabs extension I use.) I think you misunderstand my problem. I open a lot of normal links in other tabs (can be accomplished with a modifier key or another mouse button); this method completely fails to do anything but open the same page I was at in another tab if I use it on a fake link.
egg

Post by egg »

pelican wrote:(As it happens, that is exactly the same tabs extension I use.) I think you misunderstand my problem. I open a lot of normal links in other tabs (can be accomplished with a modifier key or another mouse button); this method completely fails to do anything but open the same page I was at in another tab if I use it on a fake link.
Sorry, I see... What I meant was that I have popups/new windows automatically show up as new tabs (instead of windows), but you are right, fake links are quite annoying.