Support for browsers w/o JavaScript or JS disabled [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

ricce

Support for browsers w/o JavaScript or JS disabled [DONE]

Post by ricce »

Tody JavaScript is used to much, and the developments dosent support browsers that don't support JS or have it disabled.

In anidb its very easy to implement.

1. The notification pop-up

This can be souled by letting a visit on the notification history page mark the notification as ack'ed.

2. The anime/group comment pop-up

Do we realy need a pop-up for this what about target="_blank" or just a page with a back link.

The categories tree is good, every nood is shown if script is disabled - you can't colapse any part of the tree but it dosen't realy any metter.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I thought exp already said he will start to use more JavaScript instead of less.
ricce

Post by ricce »

I don't say you shuld not use JS, but design the JS so things will work w/o JS.

In other words like the categories tree - the will be total expended if you wisit it w/o JS enabled - it maybe will be some more work for the user to find a spesefic categorie but it is working w/o JS.

To use JS is alowed and I think you can develop a lot of functions in it but it shuld still be working w/o JS with some minore futures disabled, like the colapse expand future in the categories tree.
windmage

Post by windmage »

I second this. None of the JS used on AniDB is actually necessary, and it could all very easily be fixed to work without JS while still supporting JS to "look prettier" or whatever crap in the browsers that do support it.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

getting support for non-js aware browsers in requires some pretty ugly html/js coding though.

BYe!
EXP
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

The number of people who need something like this is probably quite insignificant. And most of the site works anyway.
windmage

Post by windmage »

The point is it's a huge problem for the people who DO need it, and apparently getting bigger. Especially since these are exactly the same people who cannot use AOM. It's really not hard to include a few lines of fallback code for non-JS browsers...
Elias

Post by Elias »

I cannot use AOM (only some very old versions) but i have no problem with JS, so there are not exactly same people 8)
How many people still using browsers not supporting JS? 5, 10 worldwide maybe? (OK, maybe more, but from AniDB users this count can be accurate)
Some people have JS disabled, but than - if they want to using some features not available without JS, they can switch JS when accessing AniDB, its not that difficult. Much more difficult than writing html pages working the same (or nearly) with or without JS.
windmage

Post by windmage »

The level of ignorance and malevolanece towards users of non-JS browsers here is really ridiculous. Elias, have you looked at the uses of JS in AniDB? Essentially it's just for openning popup windows, which could be done just as easily with target=whatever. I would not mind if there were a few features that needed JS for a good reason as long as I could do basic everyday AniDB tasks without it, but it seems that more and more stuff is becoming JS-dependent here and only hurting accessibility.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Maybe it's becauase they're 0.1% or some such of the surfers and that we've all had JavaScript capable browsers for many years.

It's been stated the AniDB website supports Mozilla and Opera, since that's the only support goal exp has stated anything beyond that is bonus.

The level of ignorance and malevolence against people who don't buy into the dictatorship of minorities is really ridiculous.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Oh yeah, if you're not able to find it yourself, here's the url to the notify page for those who don't have JavaScript:
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... pop=notify

Edited to be nicer. :P
Last edited by PetriW on Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
egg

Post by egg »

For the record, exp does consider browsers without js in the design. When I was adding js to the hint, he told me that it needed to work for browsers without js. It was a pain to do this, but I did comply and tested it under those conditions. Although in some circumstances he is reluctant to redo the design, he does consider it in his work and at least is generally trying not to make things worse.
windmage

Post by windmage »

For the record, I don't care at all about notify. I'm talking about the popups for group comments, genres/categories, etc. Although I think there's something in the file adding that needs JS too in order to prevent loading all the group names in one dropdown box. Maybe for that a way to just type in the group shortname would be a good option? Personally I'd prefer that to listboxes anyway, it's much quicker to use..
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well, I don't think we really have an amount of users using non-js capable browsers that's even worth mentioning.
it's basically all about users who choose to disable js.
I myself aren't a big js fan, however I do see it's uses and over time probably more and more features of anidb will require js to a certain extend. In the past I often tried to make it work even without js, but I really don't know if I will keep that up.
It might just not be worth the trouble. The point is simply that those few users might just not be worth the trouble. Sorry, but that's the way the world goes :P
Best way for the non-js guys would probably be to add a rule which allows only anidb.info to use js and block js for all other pages (i think firefox can do that).

BYe!
EXP
egg

Post by egg »

exp wrote:i think firefox can do that
Here is an extension. Also IE can do it using trusted sites.