Wikipedia Link [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Skywalka

Wikipedia Link [DENIED]

Post by Skywalka »

Hi everybody,

because of in-deph descriptions of more and more Anime in Wikipedia (example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_Lied ), I would like to get another informational link (like the ones for ANN and Animenfo) into the DB tables of every Anime. I think it will enhance the amount of good information available to the users.

That way people who are new to the world of Otakus, Anime, Manga and everything will be able to simply browse Wikipedia and find out what stuff like "moé", "bishoujo" and all the other strange words mean all the other "guys" on IRC are using and the stuff they are talking about ;-)

I guess it will help newbies to get red of all the "???" around their heads :-)

kthxbye :-)
Last edited by Skywalka on Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I thought this was post by some noob until I saw the nick, good imitation. Anyway, fact is wikip is still pretty sucky on anything but teh superpopular anime that you're better googling for anyway. Even articles with bits written by really neet peeps are messy at best. That said, 's still better than animenfo most of the time, which outright sucks.

Rar
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

First of all let me assure you I don't take anything that is written down in Wikipedia as a fact, and I guess that was your main concern.

I agree that only the uberl33t Anime have longer articles in Wikipedia and not all of the articles are that good but at least the english part of that project has so many users and so many admins and moderators that over time these articles will get better via rewrites and overhauls.

Additionally I have to admit that when I was in my teens I always thought what is written down in encyclopedias and history books is the truth.

Noam Chomsky has altered that perspective significantly in the past, whom I came across after looking for more information after I saw all the shows and movies Michael Moore made.

History is what is written down by the historians of a country. Same goes to Anime and everything else in Wikipedia I guess. There simply is no "truth" or "flawlessness" in any kind of Encyclopedia. After listening to audiobooks from Al Franken like "Lies and the lying liars who tell them", you know that it is also not too uncommon for politicians in democracies to write books containing outright lies (sic!) without any court or the public asking for a rewrite or the book to be taken off the shelves.

So I guess while at the moment there might be a lot of stuff that is incorrect in Wikipedia, we have to give the users the alternative and a way to get more sources to gather information themselves about a subject. I know - google's your friend, but still why not give the user the opportunity? And with pain-in-the-ass users like rows we will always have anough people to add links to those sources via creqs. There won't be too much work for us. Additionally, Wikipedia articles are there to stay - google sources are changing all the time, you can bet your ass that the Wiki-links will stay the same from now till eternity (or untill Wikipedia is taken offline). I simply think that another DB field won't hurt anybody, and there are always sources which can be found via google that are better than anything we might link, but like I said those sources are more likely to become linkdead than the DBs we link to at the moment.

In the end, it's always the user's task to find out everything about a certain topic and not simply take what AniDB, ANN, Animenfo or Wikipadia feeds them.

P.S.:

It was 10 minutes after I got up so maybe my english was a bit worse than usual or what was it that made you think my post was n00b-like? I myself find it more and more difficult to understand what your "'s" means. Is that supposed to mean "it is"?

And I would love to know who you mean when you say that "really neet peeps" wrote the arcicle about trigun. Do you mean "neat" and the history page of that Trigun article? Who do you mean in specific? Do you know that Razer64 guy?
egg

Post by egg »

I have to agree that wikipedia can be useful... Like anywhere else ANN, AnimeNfo, even AniDB, not everything is 100% correct, but it is a useful resource.

This was the most comprehensive source for Pokemon episode titles I could find. It also helped me line up the titles between Kanji and English since it listed both. With different numbering systems, dates listing only in their respective countries and different titles in the different languages (not a direct translations), sometimes it was hard to match things up, once I ran across the wiki entry I was able to reconcile everything.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I would add a 'generic' (other) links entry as I saw in another database and was a really nice idea.
There are sometimes really good fan sites (/me remembers 12ktp Juuni Kokuki site).