TRIM(searchfield_input_text) [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

raphexon

TRIM(searchfield_input_text) [DENIED]

Post by raphexon »

Why don't you strip blanks from the beginning and end of stuff i enter into the search field in the top right. I always have to delete blanks at the beginning and at the end, when i paste an anime name with blanks in there (which happens every 90%).

This is a minor minor minor problem which can be solved in 20 seconds (find responsible script, add regular expression, finished) :D

I would really ove that improvement and i think a lot of other people would, too!
raphexon

Post by raphexon »

Since this "feature" is actually something that is appreciated only by SOME of the users/admins, and disappointment for lots of other users why not make an option for it? I will NEVER use the search feature in a way where the trailing spaces will actually help me. I copy/paste like 10 times a day to anidb search field and then it's really crappy to edit the input all the time, since the formfield is too small in my opinion. Long series are shown with like 2 words when entered, so if i want to remove weird chars from my "pasting", i have to "scroll" to the left in the input field or to the right to look for bad blanks.

Why not make a poll about this? For me it looks like, ehm, only 1-5 persons are actually voting FOR this search feature. Let's find out what most of the users think about this, and you'll see if this "feature" is really used or a failure.

The main problem with this "feature" is: people don't notice that they can use it this way - just look at the other threads, where people first realized that such a use could indeed help sometimes.

Another problem i see is: I paste series names from XDCC bots listings on irc like this "_Mermaid's_Forest_TV ". The crap gets trimmed already, but the space does not and sometimes i have to edit more than just a trailing space. So when i hit the search button and forgot a bad char, i have to completely start over my search input, since the search field is empty after submitting the form. (In the results page)
But i think i already know that this is a feature, too :)

kind regards
Alex
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Hey, I was criticising your inability to search, not the objection. Personally I have both been frustrated by spaces, and used them deliberately. So, to address some of your points:
"why not make an option for it" perhaps a possibility
"formfield is too small" this should be handled by css++
"make a poll" nah, pointless. what's needed is solutions, not opinions
"from XDCC bots listings" steampower is not the way forward

So, some possible actions that might be taken:
-Have a profile option that dictates how the search behaves
-Strip spaces and tabs, make underscore behave like a space
-Use quotes to mean "exactly this phrase", strip spaces outside

Rar
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Yes, is irritating. If you want to search an exact phrase you should use "this is my search " as most engines do. No need to do tricky things when there is a standard out there.