Favorite anime vote [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Locked
yidaki
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:43 am

Favorite anime vote [DENIED]

Post by yidaki » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:52 am

Hello

I was thinking.
I have only voted 10 on one anime, the one that is my favorite.
The reason for that is because no anime is without flaws, but atleast one anime should be at the top to make the ratings count.
But, if there was a special vote you could only give your favorite anime, like a vote that you can only give one anime.
then I could be able to vote 10 on other animes.
it could also make for an interesting top10, like a kind of "people's choice", everyone's favorite animes.
i mean, it wouldnt be the same as the ones they vote 10 on, because they vote 10 on more then one anime.

if it takes too much bandwith or processing power, forget it.
but please atleast consider it.

User avatar
nwa
AniDB Staff
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:51 am

Post by nwa » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:00 am

omg, how dare you make me pick out only 1 favourite anime!?
That's outrageous, I could never decide on it!! :D

Yet I think it's a nice feature request

User avatar
Rar
AniDB Staff
Posts: 1471
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:41 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Rar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:31 am

Dude, this anime goes to 11...

Rar

windmage
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:49 pm

Post by windmage » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:38 pm

I must say I think this request is stupid. Why should one have one particular favorite? IMO it's only possible to have a single favorite when you've only seen one particular style/genre, in which case you probably should not be voting 10 for anything...

Besides, it would encourage more fake/duplicate accounts for the sake of repeatedly voting Naruto "favorite" on each account.

hhaamu
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:59 am

Post by hhaamu » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:27 pm

*cough*

I like that idea though.

yidaki
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:43 am

Post by yidaki » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:41 am

windmage wrote:I must say I think this request is stupid.
We didn't need to know that.
windmage wrote:Why should one have one particular favorite?
Otherwise there's no way of giving a top rating for more then one anime.
The more flaws an anime has, the lower rating you can consider giving it.
That makes the opposite true, except nothing is flawless (except a victory in Mortal Kombat ofcourse ;))
Note that I'm not saying there should be a higher vote then 10, like an 11 or something, that would go against the idea of having a favorite vote. (If no anime is perfect, then how can an anime be more then perfect)
It's an emotional token vote, meant to make the rating 1-10 work without questions.
windmage wrote:IMO it's only possible to have a single favorite when you've only seen one particular style/genre, in which case you probably should not be voting 10 for anything...
IMO it's only possible to have many favorites if you haven't seen more then ten- fifteen animes, one for each genre, like someone who hasn't seen anything else then Naruto and Bleach, screaming that they are the best animes ever.

Liking everything equally much is just admitting to having poor taste, but I don't think anyone can enjoy everything equally much.
That's the point of the request at all, people might think this action anime is the best action anime there is, and thus deserves a 10, but at the same time he might have this other anime that he thinks is the best mecha anime there is, and thus he thinks it also deserves a 10. They are ofcourse incomparable, and neither is perfect, but given the choice between the two, there's always a winner.
windmage wrote:Besides, it would encourage more fake/duplicate accounts for the sake of repeatedly voting Naruto "favorite" on each account.
Why?
If they already go through the trouble of creating fake accounts to vote 10 on Naruto, then they most likely use the same accounts to vote for a favorite. I highly doubt there would be "more" fake accounts. If fake accounts are a problem (I don't know, haven't checked the logs), then this wouldn't increase it. (And Naruto isn't at the top, FMA is, so narutards are probably not the ones creating fake accounts)

windmage
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:49 pm

Post by windmage » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:54 am

yidaki wrote:Liking everything equally much is just admitting to having poor taste, but I don't think anyone can enjoy everything equally much.


I never said anything about liking everything equally much. My point is that not all things are comparable. Say I have 5 bananas, you have 4 apples. Who has more? You have to make up a stupid way to compare things that aren't equal, whether it be by count, weight, whatever.

The same is true for comparing completely different types of productions. Someone totally sane might vote 10 both for Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko and Juuni Kokuki. It doesn't mean they're "equal" or comprable in any way. Just that they think each is completely sugoi in the context of what it is -- the former a tiny independent slice-of-life poem in anime form, and the latter a gigantic epic.

That's the point of the request at all, people might think this action anime is the best action anime there is, and thus deserves a 10, but at the same time he might have this other anime that he thinks is the best mecha anime there is, and thus he thinks it also deserves a 10. They are ofcourse incomparable, and neither is perfect, but given the choice between the two, there's always a winner.


Non sequitur.

There's absolutely no reason there should be some kind of special vote I can only cast once. If such a thing were added, I would not use it, because it does not belong. Only someone stupid enough to think apples and oranges (or in my example bananas) are comparable would use it.

yidaki
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:43 am

Post by yidaki » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:43 pm

Well, you can't please everyone :)

User avatar
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Portugal

Post by fahrenheit » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:38 am

hmm, what if you vote 10.0 for your favorite anime and 9.5 (at most) for the rest?

i only have a couple of 10.0 on mylist and they are my favorite ones not that they are 10.0 deserving.

it's not the same has a favorite vote, but it works already :P

yidaki
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:43 am

Post by yidaki » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:18 pm

fahrenheit wrote:hmm, what if you vote 10.0 for your favorite anime and 9.5 (at most) for the rest?

i only have a couple of 10.0 on mylist and they are my favorite ones not that they are 10.0 deserving.

it's not the same has a favorite vote, but it works already :P
People are voting the maximum rating on more then one anime, we should be able to aswell.

When I watch reviewers on TV, their ratings are almost proportionally set with 1 having the most movies and 5 having the least, but they can still give 5's to like 5 movies a week. That might sound alot, but in context to the whole it isn't. Depends on how many movies you see ofcourse, but with fans voting 10 on the only anime they've ever seen, it feels like 10 should mean something more then just "Th1s AnImE rox0rz!!11" ;)

User avatar
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:43 am
Location: Portugal

Post by fahrenheit » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:00 pm

yidaki wrote:
fahrenheit wrote:hmm, what if you vote 10.0 for your favorite anime and 9.5 (at most) for the rest?

i only have a couple of 10.0 on mylist and they are my favorite ones not that they are 10.0 deserving.

it's not the same has a favorite vote, but it works already :P
People are voting the maximum rating on more then one anime, we should be able to aswell.

When I watch reviewers on TV, their ratings are almost proportionally set with 1 having the most movies and 5 having the least, but they can still give 5's to like 5 movies a week. That might sound alot, but in context to the whole it isn't. Depends on how many movies you see ofcourse, but with fans voting 10 on the only anime they've ever seen, it feels like 10 should mean something more then just "Th1s AnImE rox0rz!!11" ;)
we should change the users then, not the system, i agree with nwa when he said that just 1 favorite anime is not easy to decide, not that adding something like favorite anime to the db would be dificult anyway, the question is "is it worth it?", like you said initialy, you only voted 10 on one anime, not because it's good or something like that, but because it entertained you, because you liked it the most (i did the same to my 10's), if every user does just that, we should be fine, and yet as i'm a stat person i would like to see the favorite anime vote (if it's stats are hidden somewhere and not on the mainpage we shouldn't have much one time accounts to vote on certain animes..)

oh well, you have my vote anyway

User avatar
requiem
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:27 pm
Location: koko ni inai doko demo ni iru...
Contact:

Post by requiem » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:36 am

I disagree...simply because people change their minds too easily. Anime is not a human being that you must decide which one you have to love the most, it's entertainment.

Anyone, experienced otaku or absolute newbie will always find a new obsession. While the experienced might be more reluctant at changing the vote, it still is just as easy as for the absolute newbie.

For example: If I were to regard "Rurouni Kenshin OVA 1" as my chosen favorite, and changed my mind...I could drastically change the statistics in the "top 10" category. This is not guaranteed, but when it comes to an ultimate, the difference of opinion forces a lot imbalance on the 1-10 voting system altogether.

Also, anyone with taste and a contrary sort of will won't choose a mainstream anime, which just makes the statistics more linear. Of course you can say, "well everyone might just pick the same thing," but you and I already both know that there are plenty of people on this site whose favorite anime is NOT a mainstream, and we will end up with Naruto/DBZ/FMA fanboys - having only seen give or take 10+ animes - deciding what are the best ranked animes. I guarantee if this is implemented our Main Page will be overloaded with Naruto/FMA statistics.

If you have your ultimate favorite, be glad that it is your own. I cherish my "ultimate favorites," which are titles I choose not to rate over each other since I find something about all of them that is too precious to put below another.

Oh, and I can please everyone. ;-)

Locked