My review-votes [done]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

windmage

My review-votes [done]

Post by windmage »

A list of all the reviews you've voted/commented on. Useful if you want to return to a review to reevaluate it after more thought, or (best use IMO) if you want to re-find reviews you particularly liked when trying to decide on a title to get/watch.
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

I wonder if a separate table is the idea I'd support here.

What about an additional column of the "mylist" table? I should be required to know an anime whose reviews I vote on, right? "mylist" already provides links to reviews for those animes; I'd like to get additional links to my own reviews as well to those I've voted for in this table (so that I could see which animes I didn't write reviews for although I've seen and even rated them).

I'm aware that such an additional link in the "reviews" column may have only one link target, i. e. would have to point to the list of reviews for an anime instead of the exact review (which does provide its own link target already), so it wouldn't exactly be what windmage is asking for.
windmage

Post by windmage »

Not at all. Read what I said -- the reviews I would want to go back and see are for anime that is NOT in mylist. What's the point in reading reviews for anime you've already seen? You can judge whether a review is helpful a lot better (and with a lot less bias) when you haven't seen the anime it's about.
Devil Doll

Post by Devil Doll »

windmage wrote:You can judge whether a review is helpful a lot better (and with a lot less bias) when you haven't seen the anime it's about.
I don't think I can agree about this point. How can I rate whether a review covers the relevant aspects of an anime as long as I don't have an opinion about what they are? I don't need to agree about the quality of the anime, but I would never dare to judge an opinion without knowing the facts.
windmage

Post by windmage »

Rating a review is not supposed to be about what you, as the voter, consider the relevant aspects of the anime to be. It's about whether the reviewer successfully conveyed what they consider the relevant aspects to be, in a way that's informative and helpful to others.

When I haven't seen the anime in question, it's really easy for me to evaluate the above. I notice omissions of important things really well, because I have no preconception to fill in the gaps for me. And provided the reviewer comes across as credible, I can also be fairly certain of whether the review was informative: If I come away from it particularly interested in seeing the anime, or largely convinced that it's not something I would like, then it was helpful to me.

Now granted, often when commenting on a review of anime I have watched, I will bring my opinion of what's relevant into my vote as well. For instance if the reviewer missed out on what seemed to be the main theme or point and just talked about things from a really childish, oblivious viewpoint, I'll vote the review down, but usually it's possible to tell these things even without seeing the anime. Having other reviews to compare against definitely helps too.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

windmage wrote:Rating a review is not supposed to be about what you, as the voter, consider the relevant aspects of the anime to be. It's about whether the reviewer successfully conveyed what they consider the relevant aspects to be, in a way that's informative and helpful to others.
That's not true at all windmage, otherwise your eva review should be voted bad by everyone on account of being completely baffling to people who've not seen the series and read lots of fan opinion on it, and still pretty unclear to those who have.

Reviews that do a good job of giving an impression of a series to someone with no prior knowledge are good, but so too can be post mortems that go into a lot of detail that would be pretty useless to people who've not seen the series yet.

Rar
windmage

Post by windmage »

Well my Eva review is a bit special, hehe.. but actually I'm perplexed at why it's been voted to the top. It doesn't really belong there, since it's confusing to people who haven't read the other reviews first. However, the fact that something like my satire meta-review can get voted above all the rest says a lot about the sad state of the other Eva reviews it's mocking...

Anyway Rar you're totally right. There are multiple types of reviews with different purposes, and naturally some of them can't make sense or be commented fairly by a reader who hasn't seen the series, while others can.

With all that said, I still think a feature to see the list of all the reviews you've commented on would be useful, especially since I have over 400 reviews commented. :) For instance.. I might like to sort them by vote, and go back and reevaluate all the 1s and 3s to make sure I wasn't just too pissed off to vote fairly. :) Or I might like to check all the 8s and 3s to see if they're still pre-comment system, and if so, revote them on the new system to give better feedback and possibly a more fine-grained vote.
requiem

Post by requiem »

I could agree to this: however, I think that this would seriously kill the server load...having EVERY single user's vote counted?

If I'm wrong about this, though, I think it'd be a great idea. Just post a link to it inside the "myreviews" section. Or better yet, maybe make the "mymessages" section a bit more compounded in with the voting system? :roll:

Sa na...
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

this shouldn't affect server performance.
as you'll only see the review votes/comments you submitted yourself it won't be that many.

BYe!
EXP
windmage

Post by windmage »

It would be a lot for me.. I think I've commented about 400 reviews. :)
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

I think you're one of the few that have commented that much ^_^;
requiem

Post by requiem »

Even then, that's reason to have some concern.

I still think we should use the "mymessages" section to handle outgoing reviewing votes and the such - the only difficulty would be separating review votes from actual PMs...
windmage

Post by windmage »

I don't really like stuffing them with messages. This feature could be a lot more useful along with votes/reviews, in my opinion.

For example.. What if I want to sort all the reviews I've voted on by my rating? Or by their average approval rating? Or maybe I'd like to see which reviewers I have a high average approval for (or low).

These things would all be easy with a list of my review-votes in similar format to the existing votes page, and would help a lot when looking for other reviews to read when trying to pick anime to watch. (e.g. if I've highly approved of many of reviewer X's reviews, I might want to read more by this reviewer to get a recommendation)

Also I like to 'follow' reviewers whose reviews I've particularly liked and read and vote on their others over time. So far I just do this by trying to remember all the good writers and the bad ones, but it would be a lot easier if I could look at my past votes without having to dig around for them.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

windmage wrote:(e.g. if I've highly approved of many of reviewer X's reviews, I might want to read more by this reviewer to get a recommendation)
I hear that more often from people who read my reviews, or who read others`. They check for other reviews of mine (or that other person) at first and I heard of people who skim the reviews to see whether a specific person is among those; they liked the reviews from that person, so they depend on the review of that person to see whether they download it or not.
I happen to hear about this a couple of times, so it wouldn`t be a waste.
windmage wrote:Also I like to 'follow' reviewers whose reviews I've particularly liked and read and vote on their others over time. So far I just do this by trying to remember all the good writers and the bad ones, but it would be a lot easier if I could look at my past votes without having to dig around for them.
Perhaps a bit farfetched, but what about a 'Myreviewers' list? It could list a bunch of users who have written good reviews, or it could contain a list of specific reviews you want to keep around. I`m not sure whether the latter would be useful, but the first one might be handy. Notifies on 'new reviews' from those reviewers might also be nice then.
If people can get notifies on reviewers, they might read them more often. And when they get more votes, they will probably be taken into account more, so it`ll be a win-win situation; good reviews will get more votes.
Of course, this does mean one have to check reviews before he can 'bookmark' that user, but once you found a few good ones, you can rely on them for suggesting titles by reading the reviews. A sort of alternative AniDB Hint ;)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

*implemented* @ favourite reviewers

BYe!
EXP