Hardware viewer incompatibility warning [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

belgabor

Hardware viewer incompatibility warning [DENIED]

Post by belgabor »

Groups more and more start to use advanced mpeg4 features like qmc or qpel which most available hardware mpeg4 players don't support. As I (and probably others) prefer watching anime with such a device, a per file warning when such features are used would be highly appreciated...

Cheers
Belgabor
(Currently very pissed due to a lot of files not working because of this crap :evil: )
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

As there's lots of different hardware devices that support different sets of featuress, I don't see how this can be reliably implemented. Besides, it is really not files or DB problem.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Shouldn't have wasted your money on one of those silly things.

Rar
ricce

Post by ricce »

Why don't you transcode the files - and remove those silly futures that aren't supported.
windmage

Post by windmage »

Why don't you get a real settop player that will play any file. For instance and xbox or fanless PC running linux/mplayer? Paying money for hardware that will be outdated within a year (or in this case, 5 years before you bought it.. :)) is rarely a good idea.
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

The problem is quite complicated. If I'm not wrong hardware players you are talking about can handle this kind of files:
Container: avi without softsubs and dual audio
Audio codec: mp3 and AC3
Video codec: mpeg4 asp with DivX limitations

There are few mpeg4 asp codecs. The main two are DivX5 and XviD. All DivX5 should be playable. The problem is only with XviD. I think we could split current XviD into two entry:
XviD (full) with qpel and gmc
XviD (compatible) without qpel and gmc

For now the best solution is to add to comments something like "Playable in DivX hardware players".

P.S.
Ther are simple mpeg4 features. The advanced is better know as h.264.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Any file comments about the exact flavour of asp will be deleted. Use group comments if you like, but people who pay for over priced and poorly featured equipment should learn the hard way. Especially as this kind of compatability whining is the reason groups are still hardsubbing avis.

Rar