Lots more Company 'Relation Type'-s [DONE]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Rar
AniDB Staff

Lots more Company 'Relation Type'-s [DONE]

Post by Rar »

# exp assues me the number of types is limited only by int32
(they'd be no harm in adding a couple of million types)

# there is no need to index by type at this moment in time
(there's not requirement to click on 'animation production' and see all entries in this category)

# translating japanese credits to english accurately is a pain
(at http://www.madhouse.co.jp/works/1981_1990.html has credits under アニメーション制作 and 制作 and 制作スタジオ... obviously they consider there to be some difference, but getting this unambiguosly into english, and so it's clear for future editors which term matches which, is not fun)

# ANN data is useful, but cannot be considered very accurate
(anyone with an account at ANN can *add* data, without moderation. Errors for popular anime are generally found and corrected, but paticularly ambiguities over type of credit can be hard to resolve)

# it is useful from an accuracy perspective to know if the credits have been added from a japanese or english source
(If you see 'AIC' listed as 'production' in your R1 dvd, it's right to add them as such to anidb, rather than guessing the japanese term. However, if someone later goes on their website and sees that they are specifically credited as 製作, it would be useful to change the credit to reflect that)

Suggestions for categories:

Unknown Relation

Original Work
Production
Co-production
Animation Production
Animation Assistance

Original Work (原作)
Production (製作)
Production Assistance (製作協力)
Production Studio (製作スタジオ)
Work (制作)
Work Assistance (制作協力)
Work Studio (制作スタジオ)
Animation (アニメーション)
Animation Work (アニメーション制作)
Animation Work Assistance (アニメーション制作協力)
Music Work (音楽制作)
Photography (撮影)
..etc, as needed

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

+ Sound Work (音響制作)
(from that KnM list)
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

the surest place to get the correct credits is by looking at the credits for the video (looking at the Japanese credits, that is) :P

the only problem is, that since they're usually in kanji, one can't figure out the company and would need to make a screenshot and ask someone who kan read it (I must confess that I know the kanji for most of the Hentai studios, but dunno anything about non-H stuff)

no can I have an explanation wo what's the difference between
Production (製作) vs Production Studio (製作スタジオ) and Animation Production (制作) vs Animation Production Studio (制作スタジオ) and also the difference between the 2 previous categories and Animation (アニメーション) Animation Work (アニメーション制作) ?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I f I knew why Madhouse and others make what seem to be trivial distinctions, I'd be less concerned about the translation-only approach. Personally I suspect there's little difference in the actual role played by the studio, contracts and such like though can be very fussy over nomenclature though so it's likely there is *some* reasoning.

I agree that the best place to find the companies involved is in the [japanese] credits, and though I agree reading the kanji can be a pain, I think having them listed in brackets will actually help with this. It's not a big ask for people to distingush between 制作 and 製作, especially as they don't even need to input the characters themselves. Asking people to recognise japanese names would of course be silly, but as so many studios have western names, and as long as we're concientious about adding the katakana to their entries, it should be possible for anyone to help out.

Rar
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

some implemented

BYe!
EXP
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Seeing as I was using darling Madhouse as an example, I've added credits for them up to year 2000, missing only about 20 anime. They are busy bunnies.

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... er&prid=15

A couple of different-credits-for-OVAs-combined-into-one-entry-in-anidb issues, but largely smooth sailing.

Rar
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

EXP, this means that Financial Production, Animation Production and Animation Co-Production as well as Original Story are void and should be removed
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Oh, no, the english terms should be kept. People should *only* add the ones with japanese in brackets if they have the japanese credits and know the right term. 'Financial Production' could be renamed back down to 'Production' though, as that is how it will appear in R1 overpaint credits and on ann etc. In fact, bumping the english-only terms to the top of the list (and 'unknown' to the default-very-top) so it's clear they should be used might be helpful. (A prefixed - for english only and a -- for unknown would be a quick hack).

I added complete credits for Maico 2010 from the video. As two companies have dual credits, when a final display gets thought about something to combine might be nice.

Rar
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

A few more requests,

Animation Assistance (アニメーション協力)
Production/Publication (製作・著作)
Publication (著作)
Work/Publication (制作・著作)

..I'm sure I've forgotten a couple I've come across, but that should do for the mo.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Shouldn't those two 製作・著作 and 制作・著作 be just double entry for company under 著作 and 製作/製作 respectively?
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Could be converted to, atm though if you get 製作・著作 XXX Production Committee, you're talking about displaying the same four or five companies at least twice each.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

True, but it's better to solve that by grouping double entries on output. If something like 製作・著作 will be added, it will require splitting back when some kind of grouping is implemented. It could be easily automated, though.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

also, since there are companies that are only involved per episode, there should be an option, to add which eps the company was involved in, if involved in all, then the field should be left empty, yet what to do when you dunno the episodes the company worked on
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Requesting following new types that were mentioned in EDENs BOwY credits:
Music Assistance (音楽協力)
Assistance/Cooperation (協力)
sjabbie

Post by sjabbie »

アニメ制作 : BONES what does this mean. I was looking on Moonphase for info about an anime and I came up with this. I thought this was some production type so I posted this here. Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread.

無皇刃譚 MUKOH-HADAN I was looking for this anime. Some sidenote if you want to look for it on Moonphase.