Merge Notifies and Wishlist Pages [tracked]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

phip

Merge Notifies and Wishlist Pages [tracked]

Post by phip »

I was just flipping between mynotifies and wishlist pages, and it occurred to me that the wishlist page has a good enough interface to serve both purposes, and already shows if wishlisted anime have notifies set. I think that the notify option should become a property you can set for wishlist items. Having all the information in one place would really simplify tracking what one is interested in, and the metaphor seems more natural too!
pav

Post by pav »

hm, i agree with this. my notifies looks like a summary page of my wishlist, showing only those animes with notify...
fahrenheit
AniDB Staff

Post by fahrenheit »

hmm, i on the other hand, don't have any animes on wishlist and all my notifies are from animes that i have or i don't have but aren't in my wishlist, so i don't see any use in changing the actual behaviour, as it works quite nicely :P
phip

Post by phip »

fahrenheit wrote:hmm, i on the other hand, don't have any animes on wishlist and all my notifies are from animes that i have or i don't have but aren't in my wishlist, so i don't see any use in changing the actual behaviour, as it works quite nicely :P
That seems like a side-effect of the existing system's vagueness rather than a reason not to simplify it. This is exactly the problem: you have to add an anime to two lists, one for automatic notifications and one for your own records. And most people don't bother. The wishlist is already robust enough to handle both.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

What's a wishlist?

Well a wishlist is for stuff you can not actually get at the moment, for you lack the ability to - might it because you do not have the money

(long Pause)

OK, I gave you enough time to laugh and wipe your tears...

Where was I? Ah yes - might it because you do not have the time to manage all the downloads, burn everything on disc, you do not have the bandwidth or actually your queue is currently so cluttered with stuff you more desperately want that you need to put that stuff somewhere where it actually does not remind you every time a new file is added that you still have to get that anime, but once you find yourself without anything to get (for whatever reason if you look at the amount of new anime that's cranked out at any given time just on japanese TV) you can go to your wishlist and chose something from there.

So no, I am also against merging the two lists, for they serve different purposes.
You are right - you _could_ use only one list, but that would leave you without the knowledge which is which - which of the series you see on that list are actually currently ongoing and on release and you get them, and which are on release or not on release because they are old and you do _not_ get them. How would you know? I mean my notify list has 80 Anime on it.

Besides, every time I'd get a notify of a series that is ongoing but I don't get it I'd click on the notify and find out that I don't have any files and I'd have to remember why oh why I don't have the ability to get it. Or I might have actually forgotten and would have to remind me - in the end I'd have to write it down somewhere. That would be stupid :-)
Elias

Post by Elias »

Notify list - list of titles, for which you wish to be notified, when some new file appears on anidb. Qualifies for wishlist?
It would be fine to merge both those lists (notify list would be then only filter in wishlist for entries with have some type of notification).
For now maybe at least add simpler switching between those lists and add in notifylist info if entry is or isn't in wishlist.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

I`m with Skywalka here, actually, for reasons he already stated. A wishlist is not 100% the same as a notify. I can imagine someone got plenty of stuff on the wishlist while not wanting to be notified for them.
phip

Post by phip »

Well, I'm not saying notifies should be sent for everything on the wishlist. Just like it works now: items on the wishlist have the little bell icon to set or unset a notify. Since the wishlist page already has features to control notifies, I'm suggesting it list all of them, not just those connected to a wishlist item. A single page to manage anime you want to track, both passively and actively (with system notifications).

Beyond just merging the pages, I think notifies should be counted as "to get" wishes (I mean... You're requesting an alert when files are added... seems like you want "to get" it to me. But I get the feeling that would be too extreme, so. :)