split votes according to gender set in profile [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

kidan

split votes according to gender set in profile [DENIED]

Post by kidan »

As I guess some genre are likely to be judged very different from the typical boy-stereotype and the trypical girl-stereotype. It would be a good idea to give gender related ratings.

<biased rant>
boys like anime with cool action and cars and soccer (I hate soccer) and are bored with long dialogues, fairytales, ...
girls taste is quite the opposite of this
</biased rant>

Right now I think some anime which would get high votes from one sex are draged down to a mediocore rating because of the other sex realy disliking it.

TODO:
-add gender information to the profile
-add split-up votes (top10, voting graphs, ep-votes)
-add adv. search-option to search by (rating/male rating/female rating)

An example:
Maria-sama ga miteru
I (male) think this anime is really boring so far (ep 1-4). Someone other (female?) rated those episodes with 8 where I can only give them something around 4.

EDIT: For group-votes a splitting would not be needed, even if some groups would certainly like to know how much the chicks dig them :twisted:.

If someone else thinks that this would be an useful addition, I'll add it to the tracker to bug exp ;).
egg

Post by egg »

I think it's too much. Just let the voting take care of itself, good things will tend to come to the top regardless of gender orientation. When looking for an anime you can't just go based on the ratings. Look at the genres, they will give you hints (and sometimes a target audience) so you should be able to find things you like. For instance you probably would not like Full Moon wo Sagashite even though it is rated 8.54 because it has a genre of Shoujo. If you want to find other animes from people with similar tastes (whatever they may be) try using the anime hint.
TheNobody

Post by TheNobody »

I don't like that idea. But who am I eh?
Men and women shouldn't have seperate votes...they're equels and all ye know.

And besides. If it says Shoujo (girls) you already know that the majority of watchers and voters are female.
Err, but well I'm male and I still watched Full Moon wo Sagashite. :P
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

where did I ever have to set my gender?

I can't find that in my profile...
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Re: split votes (anime/eps) according to gender set in profi

Post by Der Idiot »

kidan wrote:As I guess some genre are likely to be judged very different from the typical boy-stereotype and the trypical girl-stereotype. It would be a good idea to give gender related ratings.

<biased rant>
boys like anime with cool action and cars and soccer (I hate soccer) and are bored with long dialogues, fairytales, ...
girls taste is quite the opposite of this
</biased rant>
excuse my language, but what a load of bull****
An example:
Maria-sama ga miteru
I (male) think this anime is really boring so far (ep 1-4). Someone other (female?) rated those episodes with 8 where I can only give them something around 4.
last time i checked i was not female and i rated both first and second season with a 8...
gendersplit voting what a load of crap... I request a split of votes between people like kidan and myself :P

And besides. If it says Shoujo (girls) you already know that the majority of watchers and voters are female.
let me add another: Bull**** :roll:

i'm not in the mood to discuss such crap, but i'm totally against it. splitting votes of male and female... whats next splitting votes of people who like naruto and those who not? god people... :roll:
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I agree with Der Idiot here. I rated high Maria-sama and enjoyed a lot Fushigi Yuugi and Hana Yori Dango. Splitting genders here is nonsense.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I genreally don't like sport anime and I like animes such as maria-sama and full moon, clearly I'm some very weird guy.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Der Idiot wrote:whats next splitting votes of people who like naruto and those who not?
You had me there for a second ^^;

It's probably useful to apply some filter to reduce the influence of people's genre-related bias - but seperating votes in advance by some outside factors (be it gender, age or IQ) is nothing but a prejudice to me.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

wahaha wrote:
Der Idiot wrote:whats next splitting votes of people who like naruto and those who not?
You had me there for a second ^^;
-_-
*stabs wahaha with the fork of DOOM* >D
It's probably useful to apply some filter to reduce the influence of people's genre-related bias
hmmm... I might agree to that if i would know exactly in what way that would be done, but normally i'm gainst filtering of votes in whatever way.
- but seperating votes in advance by some outside factors (be it gender, age or IQ) is nothing but a prejudice to me.
my point ^^
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

no seriously. When did I have to set my gender? I can't find it anywhere.

Besides, I don't get what Kidan just said. How can it be possible that deviding up the votes by male/female achieves anything? 10% of all men and women are gay. Lots of them are christian, I bet a lot are muslim, and a ton most likely are atheist - do they falsify the ratings for pr0n? You know, because masturbation is WRONG in the eyes of every catholic. Let's devide the votes by catholicism. In the end, I want to be able to get exact votes for male gay catholic Naturdo fanboys! w00t!

Seriously. Never hears such a stupid request.
egg

Post by egg »

Votes should not be filtered by the system in anyway. If you don't like the way other people vote, tough. There are people that are unreasonably biased or maliciously want to change a vote. The best way to deal with this is to get more people to vote and the numbers will average themselves out. Users should be able to tell based on the genres and description if they themselves will like an anime and not go by rating alone.

BTW, the reason there was a way to filter votes in the anime hint is because some users use a vote of 1 to signify an anime they are not interested in. This is not a true vote and the users should use the blacklist. I added that capability to allow users to filter out these false votes that could otherwise (sometimes dramatically) affect the results.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Nevertheless, it would be kinda interesting to see a demographic analysis of the votes for certain series - not limited to gender, but also covering age, education, family status, home country, ...

Anyway, since something like that would require most voters to submit that information to AniDB - which I would certainly not do myself -, I guess it won't happen. ^_^;
kidan

Post by kidan »

Looks like I hit a nerve of the regulars in here.
Frist I nevere said anything about filtering votes, so all of you, who discuss this kind of thing, flame yourself and do it somewhere else.

I guess you're not getting the point:
I'd like to have two ADDITIONAL ratings based on gender information, as I would like to see, if the different sexes are differently touched by the same anime.

Some more detailed information would of course be very interesting to US/EU-anime-distributors and if AniDB would offer some statistics like elberet suggested, they might feel like AniDB is useful to them as well.

PS: For those of you who did not read carefully: YOU cannot set your gender rightn now, therefore it's on the virtual-TODO-list of this proposal.
TheNobody wrote:Men and women shouldn't have seperate votes...they're equels and all ye know.
Men and Women are equal before the law, but do they have equal taste all the time? I don't think so.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

DonGato wrote:Splitting genders here is nonsense.
As I said, most of the times tastes have nothing to do with genders. And if you think that way, Der Idiot, PetriW and me should be considered girls. :roll:

I'm still saying this is not useful.
Elandal

Post by Elandal »

As a fellow girl (don't mind the beard), I'd assume age would be much more important factor than gender.. Of course true otakus will watch it all, though.
Even if I too would be interested in anidb user demographics and their mylists, wishlists, blacklists, and votes by different demographic parameters, I doubt we'd get enough reliable (true) information to even get started.
Also, I really would recommend to site maintainers that no personal information is ever asked. Laws and practices differ, but eg. in Finland I don't want to have any database of any kind of users of services I provide, as that might (depending on what data I collect) make the database fall within preson registry laws (and no, websites don't care about those, and they aren't enforced that easy, but I'd still rather avoid it).