Filter Options for Episode-Filelists [tracked]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

Lupin III.

Filter Options for Episode-Filelists [tracked]

Post by Lupin III. »

There are many episodes that have 20+ video-files associated with them and it's difficult to find the matching ones in the list for every episode. Some of them have low quality, just a few users, don't have audio/subtitles in a language I understand or are part of a release never completed.

Some of the issues are partly covered by the "Hide deprecated files" option. But instead of automatically defining what's deprecated, it should be user configureable with default options set on the profile page and overrideable with the "show all"-link on the list (<- this is already done).

Options in my personal order of preference:

1. Hide files with no audio in either lang1 or lang2 or ...
same for subtitles, but maybe different languages (I like the japanese original audio but couldn't read japanese subtitles, e.g.)

2. Only show files of groups, that have releases for all episodes, which means they either have state complete or state ongoing, if the series is still on air.

3. Hide files that don't fulfill a quality rating of at least 'x point y' stars

4. Hide files with less than 'x' users

5. Similar to 3: hide files below a given resolution or from certain signal-sources

Of course, if a file is the single file it should still be shown, even if it doesn't match all the filter criteria (<- this is there, too).

Optionally on the "Show Anime"-page: show only the files of a selected group. I often try the first episodes of several groups and then select the best in overall quality. Only after that I add the other files of the series. But as said above, it is sometimes tedious to pick out the matching ones out of the others.

And finally (no filtering, just sorting):
It seems there is a date in the database, when a file was added/changed, as it is shown on the episode detail page. Would be nice if it were displayed on the list to and the files could be sorted by date instead of size. Sorting by other columns (group, quality, users, ...) would be useful, too.

Lupin III.

BTW: I tried to register for the feature-request-tracker, but something went wrong with the mail function on the server (error message from the script). I didn't receive the mail with the activation-link, so I can't log in now. A second try showed me that the username ('Lupin III') has been registered. The lost-password-function couldn't send me an email either (same server error message). Can someone fix this?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

this might be interesting.
however, this would increase the amount of operations and lookups needed to render the anime page. and as the anime page is the most requested page on anidb this might have some serious performance implications.
therefore I am not very inclined to add such a feature.

BYe!
EXP
egg

Post by egg »

Actually, would all of those require loading more data? For instance, for the languages and quality, those are already displayed. It would require loading the user's preferences, but that would just expand the query that checks the deprecated files setting, and shouldn't add another query...
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

I'd have to load more user prefs, that in it self isn't such a big problem.
However the system as it was suggested would most likely lead to more pageloads per user and each page would require more cpu cycles to generate.

BYe!
EXP
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Then make it all client based. :D
I know you don't like JavaScript but it's useful for such things.
You can sens all the data to the client and the client have a cookie with customized display settings.
nusul

Post by nusul »

hi,

I am totaly for this feature! I need the filter to langage, because the chinese sub korean is useless for me :)

And a simple javascript and a cookie will be useful for the cpu on the server.

But i accept a database only for me :lol: with only the data i need, dont be afraid to make it for me :)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

a complete rewrite of the episode/file display on the anime page is currently under development by PetriW.
there might even already be some example links here on the forum not sure, but at least there will be some public examples soon.
basically we will make the entire group, episode and file display on the anime page client based.
which means that in the long run there will be a lot of additional features.

BYe!
EXP
windmage

Post by windmage »

Can we please make it so that in the absence of javascript, all the data is visible and accessible, like the categories pages are now?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

windmage wrote:Can we please make it so that in the absence of javascript, all the data is visible and accessible, like the categories pages are now?
we will try to provide the current information to non-js browsers as a fallback, however, any new features will not be added to the non-js version of the pages.

BYe!
EXP
okattan

Post by okattan »

It would be very useful to have a sorting function within the files list for each episode on the anime page.

For example, sorting files within each episode by date so that any newly added files are easier to find.

I particularly find it difficult to track a fansub when it makes a second version of an episode file, esp. that I'm tracking dozens of anime, and not on a daily basis.

Moreover, this is useful for obtaining more recent files with better res/more feats without hassling though the files list for each single episode.

It will be good to know if you are planning this now or after the other feats mentioned above, given all overhead issues.

Meanwhile, do u know of a more efficient technique to track new files other than the different kinds of notifications?

Tx
okattan