Change Perm to Temp for Non-Votable Anime [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

egg

Change Perm to Temp for Non-Votable Anime [DENIED]

Post by egg »

I have noticed a number of animes where you cannot vote because it does not have a date, but there are already permanent votes. I assume that you left the votes there to allow users to fill in the dates and not have to go back and revote. It has been a while though and I think the votes should be converted over.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

erm.. why?
if ppl have seen all the eps and have votes, no reason to move them to temp votes :roll:

if you mean ongoing animes, then yes.. but afaik.. these were all converted to temp and have no permament votes
egg

Post by egg »

1) It gives biased results. Since new people CAN'T put in permenant votes it means that the votes stay unchanged with new feedback from other users. This also affect the hint function.
2) Those users that have permanent votes may have the information neede to fill in the appropriate dates. Changing their votes to temporaries will show that they haven't voted in mylist and if they see that, they can creq the anime and fix the date.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

egg wrote:1) It gives biased results. Since new people CAN'T put in permenant votes it means that the votes stay unchanged with new feedback from other users. This also affect the hint function.
That's true... but your solution is deeply wrong. IIRC, the current situation was meant to be a temporary measure to encourage entry of dates; at this stage, the (many) remaining anime without dates are largely those for which it is difficult to find such dates. (You don't think that this information is readily available on the studios' sites, or something similarly easy, do you? It's normally buried at the ends of the internet for anything older than a couple of years, if it's out there at all.)

Obviously, the correct solution is to apply heuristics (such as those I suggested some months ago in another post) to determine from the information already in the database that these anime have definitely finished airing and allow votes. The restriction has become a serious impedence at this stage.
2) Those users that have permanent votes may have the information neede to fill in the appropriate dates.
This is, in a word, unlikely.
egg

Post by egg »

It is not fair that some users had the ability to have permanent votes, but others cannot. I am just trying to make things even. So, let's change the request around.

Can Permanent voting be allowed on old anime?

A few ways to find these would be:
1) Animes with a date before a particular date and with a number of eps > 0.
2) Animes with permanent votes that do not allow permanent voting at the moment.
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

wahaha wrote:egg: Better bump How to determine if an anime has started/finished for voting for that ;)
Yes, being the post of mine that I was referring to (thanks for tracking it down) :)
egg

Post by egg »

The problem was that I didn't really agree with that, and that wouldn't help with some of the animes that I have come across. I was thinking of something more like: Indefinate dates but I didn't think exp would do this soon. I finally settled on the one you said, but ended up changing the logic.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

egg wrote:The problem was that I didn't really agree with that, and that wouldn't help with some of the anime that I have come across.
The presence of a (real, not generic) file for the last episode (as determined by the anime episode count) covers most old anime.